Not Obeying Tab Stops (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:33
And Pat, thanks for posting your version. I didn't know there was a newer version out. I'm on 2307 still.
It depends on what channel you're on when updates get pushed. Sometimes I feel like I'm on the bleeding edge but I don't think I'm one of the first to get the updates. I think even channels are phased so not everyone is updated at the same time so as to not stress the servers.

hlewton

Local time
Once the wizard activates - STOP CHANGING THE SETTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are toggling it off and on and totally confusing yourself. Once it is on, it STAYS on.
I have come to find out that Microsoft did, although very subtlety, show us when the User Control Wizard is active or ON and when it is not active or OFF. If you look at the attachment in post #28, take note it is inactive or off and then compare that to the attachment in post #36, you will see a black box outlining the User Control Wizard switch, indicating that it is active or on. So subtle it is very easy to miss.

hlewton

Local time
Thank you LarryE for everything. I really do appreciate it.

hlewton

Local time
A while back, when trying to make a change in my Access database, which this thread is about, I discovered that if someone outside of me made any change to the program and then emailed me that change I had to:
1. I first had to open the file
2. Close it and reopen it again
3. Then open the Properties of the database as seen in the attachment
4. Then click the box that the Red arrow is point to in order for the database to work as the macros or VBA code was trying to tell it to.
Unblock.jpg

I could not access that Unblock option on the first opening of a modified file which was emailed to me.
Once that block was checked, I could then access the Enable Macros option withing the database program itself to get everything working as it should.

My question, and this is very constant after a program modification, is why do I have to open the modified database twice in order to be presented with that Unblock option? I can see what it says about the file coming from another computer but have no idea why I have to open it twice.

Mike Krailo

Local time
I never open files from my downloads folder. Normally you just move the file to a folder where you have setup Trusted Locations. This way you won't need to have that problem anymore.

hlewton

Local time
I never open files from my downloads folder. Normally you just move the file to a folder where you have setup Trusted Locations. This way you won't need to have that problem anymore.
Thank you for that answer. I usually try it from my documents folder because it never comes to me in the Downloads folder since they are sent by email. The reason I try it first in the Documents folder is in case there is a problem, the file of the same name in my Access folder remains unaffected.

I still wonder why I have to open it twice to get it to work.

Mike Krailo

Local time
But you won't have to if you setup the Trusted Folder area for your applications. It's that simple. I never have to do what you say your doing.

hlewton

Local time
But you won't have to if you setup the Trusted Folder area for your applications. It's that simple. I never have to do what you say your doing.
Thank you and I think I already have that trusted folder, at least I believe it is trusted because having to open a modified database twice so far has never happened in that folder.

I just looked up the definition of a trusted folder, and though I don't specifically remember when I may have created a trusted folder for my Access databases, I believe another forum I belong to told me to do that quite a few years ago.

Thanks again.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have a trusted folder I use for opening downloaded databases. You shouldn't trust the Documents folder. It is too high level. Downloads end up in the user/myname/downloads folder. I move them to a trusted folder. Then I open them there.

Some of the Office security is silly as it relates to MS Access. Sure you can deliberately distribute a virus using Access but when was the last time you got an email from somebody with a "cool" Access db that you just have to open? The databases I download from here, I open holding the shift key to prevent any code from running. Then I examine what the developer wanted to run on open and go from there.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 06:33
Although its highly unlikely that you will get a virus or code running SQL injection from an Access file, it is still possible.
I would never open a file downloaded from a forum or other site without taking precautionary measures.
Opening a downloaded file using the shift bypass works fine unless someone deliberately disables the shift bypass.

Whilst the unblock property is a PITA, it fulfils a useful safeguarding role

hlewton

Local time
Although its highly unlikely that you will get a virus or code running SQL injection from an Access file, it is still possible.
I would never open a file downloaded from a forum or other site without taking precautionary measures.
Opening a downloaded file using the shift bypass works fine unless someone deliberately disables the shift bypass.

Whilst the unblock property is a PITA, it fulfils a useful safeguarding role
Thank you. I just recently heard about that using the Shift in a post above. That is good information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom