Odd number formatting issue (1 Viewer)

cubsguy

Local time
Yesterday, 23:04
Not just odd numbers, but an odd issue.

I'm importing some numbers in Excel from an export from some mainframe legacy system. The numbers originally come into Excel with no specific format. I change the format to number but the numbers do not change. If i select the cell and click into the number like I'm going to edit it, exit the cell, the number will then change to the format I selected. The first 4 numbers above are how I would like them to display and the last 5 are how they come into Excel. I format the entire column to number but they do not change until I click into the number as if I'm going to edit it.

Hopefully this makes sense, I really don't have time to manually edit 5000 numbers just to get the format to work. I'm using Excel 2003.

Thanks, Brian

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 21:04
This is a quick way to deal with it.

Create an additional temporary column and put in the cell: =B1*1 (B1 being whatever the cell next to the column is then autofill down. Next Copy the column and paste over the old using Paste Values.

shades

Registered User.
Local time
Howdy. The are in fact text, any time they come from databases, regardless of how they are formatted. If you don't need leading 0's, then you can type the number 1 in a blank cell outside the range, then select that cell and copy it. Then select entire range of "numbers" to be converted, and right-click and choose PasteSpecial, and select Value and Format in the top portion, then in the middle right section, choose "Multiply". Click okay. Now they will be true numbers.
________
Nevada dispensary

Last edited:

cubsguy

Local time
Yes, that worked. Thank you!

Is it some kind of bug with Excel that doesn't allow the formatting to change or is it something else?

shades

Registered User.
Local time
I picked that up several years ago (I think soon after we moved to XL 2002).

Regarding your approach, I have done that. But now if I had to do that on several sheets, it might be worth it to name a number, Nbr and define it as

=1

Then you could use the formula:

=B1*Nbr

That number can have other uses besides this.
________
Ipad guides

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 21:04
Given the simplicity of your using Multiply in the paste special function and the fact that you can autofill a 1, I think that is the most efficient, probably.

shades

Registered User.
Local time
I agree. The number becomes a handy tool for many uses as a defined name. And with slight modications can be used for number of prints, version control, etc. (primarily in VBA).
________
Top penny stocks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom