Office Upgrade and Database Compare Woes (1 Viewer)

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:56
A couple months ago, our company was upgrade from 2013 to 2016. Seemed to go fairly smoothly. Today I wanted to try the compare database feature. After I provided the two files and clicked the button, it told me it was missing a component support file. I don't recall the name as I'm writing this from home and don't have that version. I contacted our IT and they thought an office repair might sort it out. After the repair, it turned out that I was upgraded to Office 365 and that caused its own set of problems from password security issues to no longer having any office apps on the task bar. After another call with IT, got most of that going again. I asked if I could be rolled back to 2016 and was told no due to license issues.

Unfortunately, the original problem still persists and I gained a new problem.
  1. Code on my form that interacts with outlook is now very slow, before was instantaneous to a second or two at the most and now takes several seconds and have to wait for it to complete before can do other actions. One button refreshes data by downloading some messages from outlook into access and the other button cycles through the flag - click once and it marks email with a flag, click again and it marks with a green check, etc. I know it is not due to quantity because the slowness problem only began after the upgrade, am stating here that there are only about 10 - 20 messages in the inbox in case someone wants to say that too many messages may be the reason.
  2. Still can't use the Database compare. The IT person tried a few more things and installed some other software that was recommended from the microsoft site, without luck. He is going to do more research.
Issue one is the main concern as the other is a nice to have, but I can manage without it.

Anyone have experience or thoughts, thank you.

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 09:56
In your first sentence you stated you were upgraded from 2013 to 2016; later you want to roll back to 2016. I think you meant that you went from 2016 to 2019. If so, I'm in the same boat. A couple of months ago IT updated us all to 365 which is comparable currently to Office 2019.

Haven't ever used the database compare feature, but everything is a lot slower than before. Outlook, Access, Excel, Word - everything.

Haven't found a solution yet.

Did they install the 32 or 64-bit version? Our IT chose the 64-bit version.

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
zeroaccess, in March went from 2013 to 2016 and then yesterday from 2016 to 365 and wanted to roll back to 2016. To my knowledge, don't have 2019, unless it is another way of saying 365. Based on what I see, the screen says Microsoft Access for Office 365 MSO (16.0.11929.20740) 64-bit

Colin, thanks for the link. That must have been the link IT used as those were the files that they tried installing.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:56
For info, I tried this morning when I found the link.
No luck on my Windows 10 tablet with A365 64-bit.

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
ok. good to know not the only one who can't use the software. Too bad I decided to try it and wound up worse off than before since office 365 is acting slower than 2016. Maybe office 370 will sort it all out?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:56
Doesn't 365 just mean it's a subscription service? You can buy Access as a stand-alone and pay a one-time price, but 365 requires you to pay an annual fee. I don't think it has anything to do with the version, but I could be wrong about that.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
My feeling is Microsoft will do away with non-subscription software, no evidence just a feeling.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:56
MS has already confirmed there will be another retail version - Office 2022?

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 09:56
Doesn't 365 just mean it's a subscription service? You can buy Access as a stand-alone and pay a one-time price, but 365 requires you to pay an annual fee. I don't think it has anything to do with the version, but I could be wrong about that.
That's correct.

Also, I wonder if there's something about the 64-bit version causing this? I wonder if 32-bit users are having the same performance issues.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I heard it will be Office 366. You will only have to pay once every 4 years!

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
Colin: So Microsoft expects their software works 365 days rather than this being the 365th version?????

So first was numbered: Access 1, then year: Access 95 and now days: Access 365, so the next progression would be minutes: Access 1440?

Micron: Does that mean they will charge 4 times the price to make up for not paying by year. After all It's only pennies a day?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Does that mean they will charge 4 times the price to make up for not paying by year
Of course. Would you expect any less? If that was to be the case, I'd expect Office 300.
Renew every 5 minutes.

P.S. Col, I remember that. Can't help but wonder how many people got irate over it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom