OMG, how do I access SQL Server Data Tools (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 02:02
I must be really dumb today or something. I've done this 2-3 times before (which isn't much considering - I usually work at a place where a DBA has all these installs set up).

So I want to create an SSIS package - I installed Visual Studio 2019 (community) (please don't get me started on the trouble I had when trying VS 2022, I'd rather not!) - and I have the Installer set to the option that SHOULD include SSDT - to create an SSIS package.

Yet, when I open Visual Studio 2019, I and go New > Project, I don't see any type of business intelligence category, nor integration services type projects.
Also, when I click Start menu and then type Data, or Sql Server, there is no standalone SQL Server Data Tools.

What am I forgetting or have messed up here?? Practicing a bit for a job that starts next week, but having some trouble getting to the SSDT functionality on my installs.
I'm on a windows server 2019

my installer status:
1645475494976.png

my start menu when trying "Data":
1645475526695.png

when simply opening VS 2019, and clicking File, New, Project:
1645475927246.png
1645475817540.png

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Ok, got it - THEN you have to go to Extensions > Manage Extensions, and find the one which is finally, mercifully, plainly labelled "SQL Server Integration Services packages" - and download it, which in ssis's case is an executable, then install it.

And if you get an error "must close process PerfWatson2 first" (although you have NOTHING else open), just find it in task mgr and kill it.

WHY oh why? Do they have to change this so much every.single.year.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:02
My colleague had this yesterday when trying to install VS 2022, we couldn't find SSIS anywhere in the options at all.
The search didn't bring it up.

He's only doing it as my install appears to be broken. It won't open a project without me getting this;
1645523819963.png

Apart from a full uninstall (haven't had time) I can't seem to fix it... :unsure:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'm not sure about that error you posted, but did you try the Extensions>Manage Extensions thing (which I found for VS2019, which I am now using instead of 2022, but may have been the solution for VS2022 as well, even though I ditched 2022 after having some other issues with it)

As long as you've, in order:
1) installed vs2022
2) ran the vs "Installer", to Modify by checking that one category I screenshotted in first post
3) then go to extensions > manage extensions to add the sql server integration services extension?

This is basically what worked for me, finally, in 2019. But I have a feeling the solution may be the same for 2022 - I ditched 2022 prior to finding out.

PS. I actually thought of you when I saw a new thing in my start menu "Azure Data Tools Studio" or something like that....I thought to myself....I bet Minty would know what this is and how to use it :)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
:)
I vaguely remember when I first installed it I selected a set of options about what I wanted to do with it (It was probably VS17 or 18) and It just prompted me with appropriate downloads and did its thing.

I have built a couple of useful transition projects in it, but am aghast at the complication of repeating the process, based on wasting a few hours on it with my colleague yesterday. Once I'm not so busy I'll have another look.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yeah, the last version I did my own installs it was a more simple seeming "just install SSDT". But for >= 2019, the key seems to be to after installing the main VS, then go to the "Installer" program and Modify, checking the box on that particular Work Package...then manage extensions afterwards, hell of a task. I knew dba's were good for something after all. ;)

That's interesting about the azure data studio thing. I wonder if it is one of those things that lends itself to creating 'templates' for colleagues.
Or maybe it's like SSIS where you can create certain reuseable components (data/file connectors) at the Project or Solution level for re-use in packages...but then again I'm talking in ssis terms, I have no idea on Azure. Someday I'm sure I'll have to learn it, when nobody has on prem any more for some reason.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Coming back to this - VS2022 doesn't support the old SSIS package at all at the moment!

So that's an hour of my life I won't get back.
Install 2022.
Uninstalled 2022.
Reinstall 2019.
Reinstall SSIS tools.

I hope it bloody works!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
both of our experiences remind me of my own preached adage to stick with the versions of things that are a few years old - it's the "sweet spot", IMO. i didn't practice what i preached and also felt like it was (more like a half an afternoon or more) that I wont get back with vs2022.

i am sure 2019 will work fine - hopefully the program is good at uninstalling itself, (my 2022 seemed like it was uninstalled thoroughly so that's good).

how old is the package, .... not Bids is it?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
It all worked fine thank you for asking.
The package is not that old - an SSIS package to maintain a copy of some bulk data we work on once a month offline for reporting purposes.
Because there are a million + records and a similar number of related child records an SSIS package is by far the quickest way to move stuff around.
It takes about 6 minutes total.

I only noticed it was broken when I went to answer a question on here last month.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'm glad it worked out! This is a time when we are reminded of what dba's or I.T. is good for.
I would happy if I never again installed a piece of software in my life - just started after installation and did the fun stuff.
Which is the way things are at my new job, we use a VDI and everything is just always there and always works.

I'm thinking of retiring from this place - meaning, I have 20 years to go !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom