Omicron (1 Viewer)

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 05:51
so....the WHO says that it is going to be dangerous. any other thoughts? Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that a well known band from the 60s would get to weigh in so heavily on such a heavily political and touchy subject!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 03:51
Lol

Actually I've read that this particular variant's symptoms are very mild. Different, but mild.

In my opinion that's really all we need to know. Move on with life already, but they won't. They'll obsess over it in every level of government and media for the next year-and-a-half.

OCD..

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I need to get my booster shot soon. Hopefully that will be enough to protect me from the worst of it.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
If they were ever worried about covid they would have shut down the southern border first, always watch what they do not what they say.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I notice that one thing NOT being pushed by the liberal left is that all of these corona variants are proof of evolution in action. Certain people do not want to admit that evolution could still be working. After all, that would give more credence to the natural origins of mankind. But there the evidence is, nastier than snuff and ready to snuff YOU if you are a rabid anti-vaxxer.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I notice that one thing NOT being pushed by the liberal left is that all of these corona variants are proof of evolution in action. Certain people do not want to admit that evolution could still be working. After all, that would give more credence to the natural origins of mankind. But there the evidence is, nastier than snuff and ready to snuff YOU if you are a rabid anti-vaxxer.
A little natural selection taking place here? Or a culling the herd :D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Actually, both can occur simultaneously. Sort of like when you get screwed over after a really bad stock transaction and the guy who does the screwing says, "Nothing personal... it's just business." Mankind didn't seek to eradicate the Neanderthals, and in fact we didn't completely. Some of their DNA still survives in us because humans and Neanders were close enough to be genetically compatible. However, for the most part, what happened was that we and Neanders went after overlapping food supplies - and we won the competition. But it was nothing personal. It was just evolution.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 06:51
Humans are the only species that defys natural selection. I guess I should be thankful - I may have been among the culled...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Given the number of shooting deaths and the fact that "doing something stupid" is a selectable trait, are you sure that we defy natural selection?

Given the number of vaccine refusers who end up hospitalized and post a "regret my decision" notice on FB (sometimes just before they die), are you sure that we defy natural selection?

Given the number of deaths from lung cancer and emphysema in people who smoked, are you sure about defying natural selection?

Given the deaths from traffic accidents and liver disease, ... you get the picture.

Nature can be as subtle as it needs to be in order to get you. Anti-survival behavior can originate with disease, physical induced impairment via foreign substances, or bad choices for the path of a neighborhood walk. All that our medical science does is stave off the inevitable.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 06:51
I DO get the point...BUT...I come across individuals from time to time that make a good argument for it...jus sayin'

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Getting the booster shot is great

In a paper i published on youtube March of 2020, i had warned that Covid's behaviour will change(i.e it will have variants), and stated that the battle is a continous one.

You can view this video via the link below

But,how was i able to know, it was through a machine learning model i created.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Is the normal way that viruses mutate to overcome their prey...is it comparable to the same type of thing people are talking about when they talk about the theory that genetic mutations gave rise to specie diversification?
I honestly don't know..just asking.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is the normal way that viruses mutate to overcome their prey...is it comparable to the same type of thing people are talking about when they talk about the theory that genetic mutations gave rise to specie diversification?
I honestly don't know..just asking.
Different sides of the same coin. It's actually a crap shoot. Some mutations are beneficial Some are detrimental. Some are indifferent. All of them COULD lead to diversification. But the detrimental ones probably won't. The catch is that there are levels of diversification. When Man descended from the trees, we began a path of speciation that led to us being different from (and non-fertile with) our primate cousins. However, the diverse appearance of humans that is often incorrectly referred to as "race" is in fact not due to race. (Proof? Grandchildren of mixed marriages are fertile and still produce human children.)

By contrast, consider the mule, which is the mating of a male donkey and a female horse. Most mules are sterile because the two "parents" have different numbers of chromosomes (one has 62, the other has 64). But both descended from their common ancestor, eohippus.

The corona virus family includes lots of animal diseases but also hits humans with the common cold, SARS, MERS, COVID-19, ... this list goes on. They are all different but they all affect the human respiratory system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom