Open form for Edit (1 Viewer)

djpearce

Bamedele
Local time
Today, 07:34
Hi. I created a form to be used for editing records. It displays ALL records in a "Files" table that match the BoxNo entered on a previous form. The record source is a query which has a relationship between the tblBoxes (one) and tblFiles (many). The records are showing in the form correctly but it will not allow me to edit.

I have set the allow edit, addition, deletion properties of the form to YES, and data entry to NO. Fields are not locked, and they have active tab stops. I also tried using VBA and set the datamode to edit.

Help please!?!
DJP

andrew93

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:34
Can you edit any of the fields in the underlying query?
Andrew :)

Gilrucht

Registered User.
Local time
Try setting data entry to yes. Editing can include adding data in some situations. For example, suppose a field was previously left blank because the data was not yet available. Now you want to "edit" the record by adding the data to blank field.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Gilrucht - You are confused. Once a record exists, all columns exist also and can be edited even if they were null when the record was saved. Setting data entry to yes changes the form so that it will not show existing records. It opens up to an empty record ready for data entry.
djpearce - you haven't yet answered the question regarding the query. It is most likely that the query itself is not updatable. Search help and here for advice on updatable queries.

Gilrucht

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, Pat.
I should keep my mouth shut. I'm too inexperienced to be trying to answer questions. I should know better. I ask too many questions myself to be trying to answer others.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Please don't be discouraged. Just try to stick to things you know. If you are unsure, test your suggestion first or indicate in your response that you are guessing. Even I sometimes have to test my suggestions:) But sometimes a guess will help almost as much as a difinitive answer since it can push someone in the right direction.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom