Solved Openargs value in select statement (1 Viewer)

Momma

Local time
Tomorrow, 02:19
Hi everyone
I want to open a form a subform based on a value assigned to openargs. The new form have a listbox with a select statement to filter the records based on the openargs value. The field value to pass is BirthDdate.

Code:
SELECT qryDogs3.DogID, qryDogs3.[Puppy Name], qryDogs3.BirthDate, qryDogs3.Mother, qryDogs3.PuppyNumber, qryDogs3.Location, qryDogs3.LocationID FROM qryDogs3 WHERE (((qryDogs3.LocationID)=3)) ORDER BY qryDogs3.Mother, qryDogs3.PuppyNumber;

Badger1961Uk

Local time
Today, 17:19
I'm not sure why you want to use OpenArgs when you can reference the calling form directly in the query, something like Forms!MyForm!BirthDate

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Use a TempVar()?
However you could open the form filtered to that date (remember dates need #) in the OpenForm command and refer to the form control as mentioned previously, as long as that query is not used elsewhere where the form might not be open?

ebs17

Local time
Today, 18:19
Code:
Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
    Dim sSQL As String
    If Not IsNull(Me.OpenArgs) Then
        sSQL = "SELECT ... WHERE BirthDate = " & CONVERT(Me.OpenArgs)   ' CONVERT is aircode
        Me.lstAnyListbox.RowSource = sSQL
    End If
End Sub
OpenArgs creates a string from the transfer. This must therefore be converted into a usable date string for filtering.

Momma

Local time
Code:
Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
    Dim sSQL As String
        sSQL = "SELECT ... WHERE BirthDate = " & CONVERT(Me.OpenArgs)   ' CONVERT is aircode
        Me.lstAnyListbox.RowSource = sSQL
    End If
End Sub
OpenArgs creates a string from the transfer. This must therefore be converted into a usable date string for filtering.
Thank you for your reply ebs17. I'm getting an error on the Select Statement. Not sure how to correct it?

Code:
Dim sSQL As String

sSQL = "SELECT qryDogs3.DogID, qryDogs3.[Puppy Name], qryDogs3.BirthDate, qryDogs3.Mother, qryDogs3.PuppyNumber, " _
            & " qryDogs3.Location, qryDogs3.LocationID FROM qryDogs3 WHERE ((BirthDate = " & Convert(Me.OpenArgs)) And " _
            & " ((qryDogs3.LocationID)=3)) ORDER BY qryDogs3.Mother, qryDogs3.PuppyNumber"
        Me.lstPuppies.RowSource = sSQL
    End If

Momma

Local time
Use a TempVar()?
However you could open the form filtered to that date (remember dates need #) in the OpenForm command and refer to the form control as mentioned previously, as long as that query is not used elsewhere where the form might not be open?
Thanks for your reply, Gasman. Could you explain how to use TempVar(), please?

ebs17

Local time
Today, 18:19
Not sure how to correct it?
How about if you don't just copy comments in the code and under the code, but read through them and try to understand them?
Code:
' CONVERT is aircode
So you should make sure what exactly is being passed to OpenArgs and how to get a valid expression for filtering.
Since I didn't know what you were doing exactly, I abbreviated it to "CONVERT". Of course, this is not a valid general purpose function in Jet-SQL.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Thanks for your reply, Gasman. Could you explain how to use TempVar(), please?
You set a Tempvar and then use that in the query
tempvars("mydate")=Date

then in the query

SELECT tblDaily.*
FROM tblDaily
WHERE (((tblDaily.DailyDate)=[tempvars]![Mydate]));

Momma

Local time
You set a Tempvar and then use that in the query
tempvars("mydate")=Date

then in the query