Oracle vs Access and Excel (1 Viewer)

wjoc1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:52
Hi guys,

I'm just looking for some general views and opinions here and would love to know what people think; advantages/ disadvantages etc.

We have a system of spreadsheets traking various ongoing projects in our organisation which are sitting on 6 different regional servers. This poses a number of problems as you can imagine - no way of collating the data or generating reports centrally. Updates/bug fixes cannot be carried out because it would require chaning each workbook individually and so on and so on.

I am trying to make an argument to create a new Oracle based database or similar which will be held on a central server and accessed through the company's intranet.

What I'm trying to do is compile a list of the possible reasons to do this or not as the case may be. Opinions or arguments for and against would be most welcome.

Thanks
Liam

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:52
If you already have Oracle, it will make a fine back end for an Access application.

Switching from a spreadsheet to a relational database provides a whole range of benefits.
1. Dramatically decreased data entry requirements
2. Dramatically reduced maintenance issues
3. Easier integrated reporting.
4. Increased security.
5. Easier reporting.
6. Reduced training requirements.
etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom