Part of database crashes - on one laptop only (1 Viewer)

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:19
I have a pretty complex (for me!!) Access database, with lots of queries/forms/reports and links to tables both in a back-end and to Excel files. Because I hotdesk across three sites and also work from home sometimes, I have the front-end, back-end and linked files all in different folders on a high capacity flash-drive (regularly backed up!)

I got a new laptop recently and almost everything works perfectly, but there’s one part that causes it to crash every time. This is a section that cycles through 30 options in a listbox, runs various make-table queries, then runs a long report for each option, made of many sub-reports and outputs it as a PDF with a filename based on the current entry in the listbox. Then it moves onto the next option and repeats.

It works perfectly on three other PCs. It even works on my old laptop, which I need to get rid of, because of different problems.

All the other parts of my database work fine on my new laptop, but this one section, on this new laptop, crashes it every single time. I had used DoCmd.SetWarnings False. I set that back to True and when the database crashed next time it said “System Resource Exceeded”.

The weird thing is that there another very similar module in the same database, building reports from entries in a different listbox and also outputting as PDFs and that one does not crash it.

It really does seem to be machine-specific, so what settings should I be looking at on this new laptop?

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 13:19
Some PCs don't like an app.
I had the same,....an app worked on other PCs but not on 1.
On that PC, try creating a blank database, then import all objects, tables,queries,etc and especially relationships. Click all options.

It's sometimes works,and sometimes won't.
I had 1 PC that never would work.

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Some PCs don't like an app.
I had the same,....an app worked on other PCs but not on 1.
On that PC, try creating a blank database, then import all objects, tables,queries,etc and especially relationships. Click all options.

It's sometimes works,and sometimes won't.
I had 1 PC that never would work.

Thanks, I'll try that tonight, when I'm back home. I don't have the laptop with me today.

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Examine/explore this thread:

https://access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=298876&highlight=Resources

It relates to system resource issues. It might help you at least a little bit.

Thank you. I read into some of that and I think I'm getting well in over my head. The laptop doesn't actually belong to me, but to one of the hospitals I work for, so I think a lot of those settings will require an Admin password, which I don't have. But if all else fails, I'll take it back to the IT dept there and show them this link.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:19
One of the things buried in that link is to programmatically set Max Locks Per File up a little bit, which MIGHT help you and which doesn't require Admin privilege. Other issues than that one? You are correct - they are not so easy to set without an Admin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom