password protect a linked table or make it read only (1 Viewer)

jpb

Local time
Yesterday, 16:03
Hello,

I have a table that I imported from another database. I used import Access - Link to the table source by creating a linked table. - then downloaded in my database.

I want to use the linked table to create relationships and forms but do not want to even accidently edit it. The table gets updated in the database on a weekly bases and I am hoping it gets updated automatically in my database as well. does it automatically get updated or do i have to set up something?

Also, I want to protect the data in that particular table and either password protect it or make it read only. Can I do that? If so, how?

Thanks

Dmak

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:03
So far as I can tell, linked tables are read only.

EDIT - The above is all lies.

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
So far as I can tell, linked tables are read only.
And that would be an incorrect assumption. A table linked from another Access database can have its data modified. A table linked from SQL Server can have its data modified provided the correct security is in place and a primary key exists on the table.

So, don't let users have direct access to the tables and use a query set to be Snapshot instead of Dynaset.

Dmak

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:03
And that would be an incorrect assumption.

I was just about to edit my post! :banghead:

I've only linked a spreadsheet and an outlook table and on both occasions, read only.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I was just about to edit my post! :banghead:

I've only linked a spreadsheet and an outlook table and on both occasions, read only.
And you would be correct about both of those items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom