Populating Fields (1 Viewer)

K

kmarsh23

How can I populate an empty EmpID field in one table from another EmpID field in another Table by using a drop down list? This is the Primary Field

Adrianna

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:29
Hmm...you want to populate a totally new table with EmpID information off a drop down list. Hmmm...this doesn't seem to make sense, but I would suggest using a "make a table macro". Where your drop down list provides the variable to be queried againt. :rolleyes:

Still sounds strange to me. I guess you must be doing something that I just can't picture needing at the moment.

K

kmarsh23

Ok lets see if I can clarify things a little bit. I made a table from an Excel sheet that has EmpID, Name, Location, and Classification. I created several other tables i.e. tblHardware, tblSoftware, tblNetwork. These are going to be used to input the data into. The db is going to be used to enter info off of a computer user survey. I created a query to pull these all together with a join type of 3. I then used the qry to make a form to enter the info on. I started with the EmpId, Name etc at the top. I would like to have a drop down menu for the EmpID and then have it fill in the name, etc. What i wanted to do was to have an unpopulated field call EmpID in the Hardware, Software, Network tbles so when i queried them i would have a EmpID to go off of as the primary key. The info in the hardware and etc would be entered for each EmpID so that is why I need the EmpID in there.

Thanks
Kelby

Adrianna

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:29
Okay...i think that I would work with a different structure then the idea that you are working with...but if you must stick with that...I would add your one to many relationships to link your EmpID fields. Make the row source for the listbox "Table/Query" and pull from your EmpID table. If you choose to...you can show all of the EmpID information in the Listbox...or select to only show the EmpID field...by setting Column Width to 2;0;0;0 for the four fields (assuming that EmpID is the first). Then in the subform below, you can allow your users to view the data. You should have that form open where EmpID = Forms!Mainform![EmpID]..that way when you select the EmpID in the dropdown, you will see the matching information below.

That's just my quick and tired way of solving it. As I was typing I thought about another way....but you should be okay with this.

here are two other links to check out. I didn't have time to fully review them:

AutoFill

Autofill2

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom