Popup notification for due date.. (1 Viewer)

moi

Local time
Today, 14:18
Dear all,

How would i setup a popup notification if "duedate" is todays date.. Like if a buyer reach his/her due date value of duedate control, i need a popup notification, telling me to call that buyer.. It is a monthly, so the value of that control is a number and it is a monthly notification, then it should stop when status is fully paid..

Pls i need help..

Thank you..

GaP42

Local time
Today, 16:18
What you envision may not be well thought through ... if you have the buyer's single record, then you can easily show that if duedate<date (today's date) then show a message (msgtext) on opening the form, or highlight a control on the form showing Due/Overdue or ... - however that depends upon you opening that buyer's form. You may have many buyers who have not fully paid a bill by the due date on any given day, so you should consider a list ---
If you have a form showing the list of buyers where they have a bill that is not fully paid and due/overdue, then you can have a column showing that status - or the number of days overdue, and a link to open that buyer's form to view the detail of the overdue purchase (and their history of purchases).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:18
Your question is kind of wide open since you don't give us details surrounding your process. I can help you organize your thinking, perhaps.

In general, if you need a notification, you must decide when you want it - and I don't mean "On the Due Date" but rather "When I launch my app" or "When I open a particular form" or something else, some other action.

You also imply that there is a certain day of the month on which this test should be implemented on a monthly basis. You also have mentioned a status, so what you want is a multi-fold test: (1) is it the day of the month to make calls? and (2) for each buyer, is the status other than "fully paid"? and (3) for unpaid statuses, is the current date later than the due date for a particular buyer or a set of buyers.

You don't describe your data either, so we might have trouble giving you specifics since we don't know your data names (if you have gotten that far in your design yet). You ALSO don't describe your procedures. So... suppose you have so many calls to make on a given day that you can't get to them all. Can that even happen? If so, what do you need to do about it?

All of these questions are rhetorical, because they are things YOU need to answer with regard to what you actually intended or needed to do.

As a final thought, Access is dumber than a box of rocks about anything other than making tables, queries, forms, reports, macros, and modules. YOU are the subject matter expert, so don't expect Access to implement anything specific. YOU would have to guide it through that process.

Start with a design phase of what you want to achieve. Then decide what information you need to implement that goal. THEN decide how to obtain or forward that needed information to that part of your app that needs to work with these due dates and statuses that might not be "fully paid" and other issues you will need.

moi

Local time
Your question is kind of wide open since you don't give us details surrounding your process. I can help you organize your thinking, perhaps.

In general, if you need a notification, you must decide when you want it - and I don't mean "On the Due Date" but rather "When I launch my app" or "When I open a particular form" or something else, some other action.

You also imply that there is a certain day of the month on which this test should be implemented on a monthly basis. You also have mentioned a status, so what you want is a multi-fold test: (1) is it the day of the month to make calls? and (2) for each buyer, is the status other than "fully paid"? and (3) for unpaid statuses, is the current date later than the due date for a particular buyer or a set of buyers.

You don't describe your data either, so we might have trouble giving you specifics since we don't know your data names (if you have gotten that far in your design yet). You ALSO don't describe your procedures. So... suppose you have so many calls to make on a given day that you can't get to them all. Can that even happen? If so, what do you need to do about it?

All of these questions are rhetorical, because they are things YOU need to answer with regard to what you actually intended or needed to do.

As a final thought, Access is dumber than a box of rocks about anything other than making tables, queries, forms, reports, macros, and modules. YOU are the subject matter expert, so don't expect Access to implement anything specific. YOU would have to guide it through that process.

Start with a design phase of what you want to achieve. Then decide what information you need to implement that goal. THEN decide how to obtain or forward that needed information to that part of your app that needs to work with these due dates and statuses that might not be "fully paid" and other issues you will need.
Ok lets see if i describe it correct this time.. I have a table of buyers, in that table, i have names of buyers, amount_topay, duedate (number/date of a month) and status.. The default status is "active" until it pays the last amount_topay, then status will change to "fully paid" (manually entered). Duedates are numbers (date on calendars).. 1 or more buyer are possible to have same duedate, ie every 5, 10, 12, 23, 29 of the month..

Status are 2, "Active" and "Fullypaid".. I want to keep notified until status will be "fullypaid". If all duedates were not called, it will just rolled until it reaches again the date of next month.

I would like that everytime i open the db, it fires the test.. Maybe instead of poping a msg, maybe a list (report) is a better way to go.. Something like, today is 3rd of march, and giving a list of buyers names..

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:18
So to be clear you work 7 days a week, no bank holidays? Or do you take that into account when determining the due date? Or is that covered by
If all duedates were not called, it will just rolled until it reaches again the date of next month

ebs17

Local time
Today, 08:18
Analogous

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 07:18
Might be better to just run a report in print preview mode that tells you ALL customers whose due date is today? when the DB starts?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:18
Might be better to just run a report in print preview mode that tells you ALL customers whose due date is today?
Not a good idea. If you don't run the report, you miss a day. Also, your due dates may fall on weekends or holidays. Are you working those days?

The form that opens should select records based on all unpaid items with a duedate < today. That will show the same record every day until it is paid. How you handle contacting the customer is a different issue. You may contact them and they promise to pay in 5 days. Well, you don't want to see that record again for 5 days. How do you handle this? Or if you see the record, then you should see the promise to pay comment so you know to not call the customer.

The process is complicated when you have multiple people doing collections.

moi

Local time
Might be better to just run a report in print preview mode that tells you ALL customers whose due date is today? when the DB starts?
Hi,
Actually that is the setup at the moment, print the report showing the dates of buyer's due date, distribute to each agent.

moi

Local time
Not a good idea. If you don't run the report, you miss a day. Also, your due dates may fall on weekends or holidays. Are you working those days?

The form that opens should select records based on all unpaid items with a duedate < today. That will show the same record every day until it is paid. How you handle contacting the customer is a different issue. You may contact them and they promise to pay in 5 days. Well, you don't want to see that record again for 5 days. How do you handle this? Or if you see the record, then you should see the promise to pay comment so you know to not call the customer.

The process is complicated when you have multiple people doing collections.
Hi pat,
As Gasman said, the secretary just print the report showing the due dates of buyers and distribute to agents, for now while trying to automate notif.

The database has a "Status" and "Remarks". Status = "Active / Fully Paid" all active status were filtered by query and "Remarks" shall filled up with those convo by buyer and agent..

As long the Status is Active, it will not remove to the list of buyer to be contacted.. By the way how should i put in textbox the expression of (if the balance is "0" the status will change to "FullyPaid"?

Please am new to Access and trying to learn, bear with me a newbie here.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As Gasman said, the secretary just print the report showing the due dates of buyers and distribute to agents, for now while trying to automate notif.
You are free to follow whatever advice you like. Using a single, specific date as the criteria is not appropriate for the reason I explained.
How would i setup a popup notification if "duedate" is todays date..
That is the wrong question. The question is - how do I know which payments are overdue?

What are you currently using as a query? Where is it getting the date criteria?

moi

Local time
You are free to follow whatever advice you like. Using a single, specific date as the criteria is not appropriate for the reason I explained.

That is the wrong question. The question is - how do I know which payments are overdue?

What are you currently using as a query? Where is it getting the date criteria?
hi pat,

it is not the permanent solution, it is a quick fix so to say.. yes the report is coming from a query and the date criteria is a column on that query.. note the duedate is not a date, it is a number from 1 to 28/29/30/31..and it is manually entered, which i believe they just based on the contract signed date of a month.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And someone is working every single day of the month. On weekends and holidays. And they never forget to run the query for that day.

A wrong solution is still a wrong solution whether it is temporary or not.

moi

Local time
And someone is working every single day of the month. On weekends and holidays. And they never forget to run the query for that day.

A wrong solution is still a wrong solution whether it is temporary or not.
Hi little by little, through this forum kind help soon i will fix these wrong approach/design.

Thank you all to your valuable help and advises..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom