Prevent Design View (1 Viewer)

bauer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:23
I saw something on here once before similar to what I'm trying to do, but it was only a mention of it in a more genral term.

I'm trying to allow certain permissions through code, as I don't want to use Access' security, b/c that affects all acces databases. I have got most of the permissions down, except I don't want to allow the users into the design view of the forms. I thought about making an d .mde file, but I can't, I suppose I have code that won't let me.

Anyway, if someone out there can help me, I would be very happy!!

Thank you in advance

Travis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:23
1. Hide the Database window
2. Remove Accesses Special Keys
3. Make your own Menu bars for the forms.

This should prevent most of the users from Getting to the design view. The others (who are smarter then most) will need to be watched/bribed/punished or whatever you deem neccessary.

SteveA

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:23
Your other option could be to set yourself up with a security workgroup and make your logon, the only member of the admins group. Create a new database and import all the objects. This should assign the ownership to yourself. Change the access rights for the admin logon to only be a member of user, and then change the rules for the Users group to not have design permission on the forms.

Anyone who logs in without a user group (ie the default admin logon) will be assigned to the users group instead of the admins group and not be able to access the design view of the forms. You could then expand this to provide similar restrictions on your modules, tables, reports, macros and queries.

HTH
SteveA

[This message has been edited by SteveA (edited 01-18-2002).]

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The reason that Access security seems to affect all databases is because Access security is ALWAYS present even when you don't explicitly secure a db. Security is managed by Jet and the default workgroup is system.mdw. So, if you open an unsecured db, Jet automatically uses system.mdw.

The effect you were experiencing is caused because when you join a workgroup, Access modifies the default workgroup in the Registry and until you join a different workgroup, it assumes that you want to join the default. So, when you close the secured db, you must re-join system.mdb, once, to get back to the normal "unsecured" state. The way to avoid this problem is to open your database via a shortcut with the shortcut passing the workgroup parameter to the db. When you open secured db's this way, Access does not update the Registry default so there are no problems opening subsequent db's and you don't have to keep re-joining system.mdb.

I don't think Microsoft could have made Access security more confusing if they tried

bauer

Registered User.
Local time
If you could please tell me how to make that shortcut with the workgroup parameter sent.

Also, is there a way to track what the users do with the workgroup? Like to keep a log file?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom