primary keys! (1 Viewer)

badangel

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:55
Hi, I have a problem with creating unique primary keys. I would like each entry to have a unique key made up of 3 letters and then numbers with the first 3 letters used depending on the type of entry it is. The type would first have been selected using a drop down menu I think then the numbers would then have to be autonumbered for each type. Does anyone have any idea how I would go about setting this?? Thanks in advance..

emcf

Local time
Badangel,

I had a similar problem a while ago - http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37841&highlight=primary+key

What i did in the end was to leave the primary key as an autonumber and concatenate this primary key to another field that provided the reference i wanted. I reckon in your situation you should -

-Leave the primary key as a basic autonumber
-when you select from the drop down box, have a field that captures the first three letters of the type
-set up a field in a query that concatenates the three letter field with the primary key

Hope this helps a fellow jock!

badangel

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, emcf. I'll try that.

badangel

Registered User.
Local time
Not sure how to create the field that captures the first three letters of the field that I want. Any clues would be greatly appreciated!

emcf

Local time
i'm not sure if this is the best way (well, i'm sure that there is a less ham fisted way to do it) but it seems to work for me.....

on the drop down box i put in some vb code which runs 'after update' -

if [your drop down box field name] = 1 then
[three letter field] = "xyz"
else
if [your drop down box field name] = 2 then
[three letter field] = "abc"
else
[three letter field] = "pqr"
endif
endif

where the 1 and 2 that [your drop down box field name] will equal are the primary key of the look up table

create the [three letter field] as a field on a form and then hopefully when you select one of the options in the drop down box the field should then be populated with the three letters you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom