Processes - Good or Bad (1 Viewer)

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:24
Does anyone know a good way to determine if there are unnecessary processes running on your computer, or loading at start-up? I've looked at my task manager and I've used the DOS command msconfig to view what loads at start up. However, there are many, many processes in both places, that I have no idea what they are or if they are necessary. I tried searching the processes on Google, but there are so many websites, that I don't know which one to trust. One process in particular, one place says it is safe and another place says it is a "backdoor" and should be deleted (the process was svchost.exe). How do I know which one is right? I am running McAfee antivirus on my computer and it has not found any viruses. Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:24
I look up the process name on the web (executable name). Normally it will give you an idea what the process is for. The you have to determine whether it is possible to get rid of it. I know on XP there are normally at least 20 processes going on. SVCHOST.exe is one of those generic processes. It is hard to determine whether or not it is good or bad. That is where a good virus/malware etc. checker has to come it to determine it's real purpose.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:24
For a fully comprehensive list and advice on what and why to start, stop or set to manual check out this website clicky each process has information on what it is and what it does.

These are the default services for all versions of Windows which is a good place to begin any other processes you have running will (should) have been installed by any new software you installed.

As kevlray mentioned an up to date anti-virus is a must but typically a virus will install a 'new' process that often looks like a legit process e.g. SVCHOST_.exe or SCH0ST.exe for example because they don't want to break your PC by interfering with normal processes. Oh also anti-virus software will also catch those virus's and worm that infect system files such as .dll's that you don't see running ;).

This is the easy way a virus works it's theoretically possible to write a new 'process' that acts in the same way as the original but with nasty code in it but that basically too much effort for most virus writers.

If you do get conflicting results from Google check a few sources by a process of elimination you should get a reasonably confident result especially by cross referencing against any software you have installed.

In short don't panic :p your (updated;)) anti-virus should keep you well protected.

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:24
should probably add, this guy gives you the run down on processes (and a hell of a lot more)from all Win OS's

IAmNotABot

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:24
Awesome website. Loads of information

For the OP, try this little tip. Under Task Manager, processes tab -> view, and add 2 more columns-CPU Time and command line. Also under view, click the update speed to high.

CPU Time will allow you to sort the list (by clicking the header), into the processes that are eating up the CPU. Some are legit, and some are not. Some say that you can also use the CPU header, but I find that it moves around too much for my liking.

The Command line heading will help you see exactly where that process is on your hard drive. If you see a process that looks legit, but located in the folder mywebcursors then it is a safe bet that you should get rid of it.

When you find a specific one that is giving you issues, google for both the process and the folder name, and I will bet that you will find info on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom