Query Stump (1 Viewer)

riverstar5

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:19
Hello,

I have a table with telephone contact information however some of my contacts have a contact preference, home or cell... how do I create a query to have it show only the contact preference number that has been chosen.

Thank you in advance for your assistance...

Alansidman

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:19
Where are you looking to have this displayed. In a form or a query?

riverstar5

Registered User.
Local time
In a query...

Alansidman

AWF VIP
Local time
If you do not have a field that indicates the preference, then create one and populate it as necessary. I am assuming that it will be text field that is populated with either cell or home. I am assuming that you have a flat table with the names and phone numbers in the same table. I am also assuming that that you have two fields for phone numbers, cell and home.

In a new field, create an expression, PrefPhone: IIF([TableName].[PrefField]="Cell",[tableName].[Cell],[tableName].[home])

In your query, uncheck the display for fields cell and home so that they do not display and only the preferred number displays.

Alan

riverstar5

Registered User.
Local time
so this is the fields that I have

First Name
Last Name
Contact Preference, has a dropdown to pick "cell or home"
Cell Number
Home Number

Alansidman

AWF VIP
Local time
And here is your query
Code:
Select YourTableName.[First Name], YourTableName.[Last Name],PrefPhone: IIF([TableName].[Contact Preference]="Cell",[tableName].[Cell Number],[tableName].[home Number])
FROM YourTableName;
Insert the name of your table wherevever I have YourTableName. If it has spaces then surround it with Square Brackets. A good naming convention is to not have spaces in table or Field Names. With spaces you are prone to errors and omissions.

BTW: It is also not a good practice to have drop down (lookups) in your table. They should be in your forms. Read this discussion. http://access.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm
Alan

Last edited:

riverstar5

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you so much for all your help, I think I got it... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom