Query that joins all the people associated with 1 institution into 1 row (1 Viewer)

nickblitz

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:40
Hey,

I have this query that displays the institution and the people associated with it.

SELECT Institution.InstitutionID, Institution.[Institution Name], Institution.[Address Line 1], Institution.[Address Line 2], Institution.City, Institution.State, Institution.Zipcode, Institution.Country, Institution.[Member Type], Institution.[Member Status], Institution.Comments, Institution.[Map Coordinates], Institution.Website, Institution.[Fees 2010], Institution.[Fees 2011], Institution.[Fees 2012], Institution.[Fees 2013], People.PeopleID, People.PersonTypeID, People.Salutation, People.[People Name], People.Title, People.Phone, People.Fax, People.Email, People.Bounces, People.[Secondary Email], People.[Bounces 2]
FROM Institution INNER JOIN People ON Institution.[InstitutionID] = People.[InstitutionID];

Can someone show me how to edit the this query to join all the people associated with the institution to display in 1 row?

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:40
Have a look at the various options that are available in a Totals Query. You'd probably need to use the Count option for the people.

nickblitz

Registered User.
Local time
Have a look at the various options that are available in a Totals Query. You'd probably need to use the Count option for the people.

hello, thanks for replying. i do not want to display how many people are there.

each institution has around 3 contacts.

the above query displays the data like this.

i need it to be in 1 row.. 1 institution with all the contacts in 1 row.

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
If you want to bring that query down to a single record for each institution, you will either need to remove the contacts from the query, or use a Totals query and Group By the institution details and count or use one of the other options to get the Contacts to a single record.

nickblitz

Registered User.
Local time
If you want to bring that query down to a single record for each institution, you will either need to remove the contacts from the query, or use a Totals query and Group By the institution details and count or use one of the other options to get the Contacts to a single record.

defeats the purpose if i remove the contacts...

can you help to edit my query above? :)

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
If you want to see all the contacts as one record, you'll first need to run a query or procedure to collect all the contacts in a De-normalised form, and then use that in a second query that matches that denormalised data against each institution.

nickblitz

Registered User.
Local time
If you want to see all the contacts as one record, you'll first need to run a query or procedure to collect all the contacts in a De-normalised form, and then use that in a second query that matches that denormalised data against each institution.

thanks. :banghead:

and how do i do that??

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 04:40
So, Nick you've got people working on this for you at two different sites. Should get twice as a good an answer in half the time, eh?
Cheers,

nickblitz

Registered User.
Local time
So, Nick you've got people working on this for you at two different sites. Should get twice as a good an answer in half the time, eh?
Cheers,

i havent got an answer yet.. :(:(:(

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Search this forum on the subject of de-normalising data, it comes up on a regular basis.

nickblitz

Registered User.
Local time
perhaps you need a copy of my database for you to understand my problem?

nickblitz

Registered User.
Local time
i have posted a dummy database in the link which you can download.

Basically i have 2 tables, institution and people.

I have a query called institution query that displays the data from both tables.

i need them in 1 line using a query.. so that i can do a word merge.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?17bjjpa4ll8275j

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
If you want to post a copy of your DB. Then do a compact and repair on it then put it in a Zip file and post the zip file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom