question about exporting data from one database to another (1 Viewer)

maggiemaxima

dental database
Local time
Today, 11:46
I created a dental database in may and have been collecting data for 6 months. I have created a new access database recently and need all the previous data from the first database into my new database. The databases are very similar... instead of breaking up the dental catagories into seperate fields/tables my new database includes all the data questions on 1 table so that it is more user friendly. I sthere any way i can export the data into my new database? :confused:

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:46
You could imort each table and create a query to join the data and append it to the new table in the new db. The trick will be to get each field matched up so that you get everything you need for each new record to append.

quest4

Registered User.
Local time
Actually there is a couple of ways to do it. Are the field names the same in both tables? If so, the infamous Append query is the way to go. If not then turn to the Pivot table. You can turn this dbase into your archive dbase and linkt he table to the new dbase and import all the querries, forms and reports. Then you can run it in a separate sexction called archive records. The choice is yours. LOL. hth.

maggiemaxima

dental database
Local time
Today, 11:46
my query will not work

i tried to run a query linking my data together to show in my new database and it wont run my query. It says TYPE MISMATCH IN EXPRESSION. What does that mean?

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
You are trying to append data of one type [text or numeric] into a table where the data type does not match [text or numeric] for one or more table fields. You have to look at the source table and verify if the data type between the old table and new table is the same for each field. It is not which is why you are getting the error. You can change the data type in the design view of the table but you risk loosing the data if the file type you change it to does not accept it. So make copies of the tables [just in case]. Good luck!

quest4

Registered User.
Local time
Excellent point. But it is faster to make a copy of the whole dbase, with a slight name change, like _OLD on the end. hth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom