Solved Question about expression query (1 Viewer)

qupe

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:42
When I create an expression query, should I keep the parents fields?
e.g.: Expr = [First Name] & [Last Name]
should I keep the parent fields in the query I mean [First Name] and [Last Name]?

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 15:42
No requirement but you probably want to sort Last then First so you do not have to show them but include them and then uncheck them.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hmm, can you maybe provide some context? I am thinking it depends on what you want to use the query for will dictate what you should have in it.

qupe

Registered User.
Local time
I have a table has two fields [First Name] and [Last Name], I want to create an expression in the query of both of them as single field.
The issue happened when I deleted the parents fields. Access starts to show up the "Enter the Parameter Message".😓

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Can you screen shot what you really did. You should not need to keep the other fields in.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No. It is not necessary to keep the base fields in addition to the concatenated version. If Access started prompting for the original fields, you have used them somewhere. Did you check the order by property on the query?

ebs17

Local time
Today, 21:42
should I keep the parents fields?
From my point of view yes.
Keep the original table fields as long as possible, and bring calculated fields into play as late as possible, and the composite field is a calculated field. Formats for viewing should only be created in a last step.

Simple reasoning: Raw table fields offer the possibility of index use, a calculated field definitely does not.
Index use sometimes offers significant performance advantages when sorting, grouping, filtering and joining.

What sensible person gives away potential performance early on without need or cause?

expression query
I don't know the term. What is that in more detail?

qupe

Registered User.
Local time
No. It is not necessary to keep the base fields in addition to the concatenated version. If Access started prompting for the original fields, you have used them somewhere. Did you check the order by property on the query?
Mr. Hartman was partially right, the issue was that in the report was a grouped by [First name], and that is why it was prompting for the field name every time I run it.
The issue is solved thanks for you help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom