Question on American politics (1 Viewer)

Idjit

Clamoring Preschooler
Local time
Today, 05:35
Mike375 said:
If a senator dies during his/her term are they replaced by someone of the same party. If there is no election is the new senator appointed by the state governor.

In many cases (someone correct me if I am wrong) the deceased's spouse serves out the rest of their term. Otherwise I'm not sure if it's the governor who appoints or the party leader for that state (it would be odd for a democratic governor to appoint a replacement for a republican senator, or vice versa).

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Idjit said:
In many cases (someone correct me if I am wrong) the deceased's spouse serves out the rest of their term. Otherwise I'm not sure if it's the governor who appoints or the party leader for that state (it would be odd for a democratic governor to appoint a replacement for a republican senator, or vice versa).

What if the senator's husband is not of the same party?

M

Mike375

In Australia the new senator is appointed by the state premier and precedent usually dictates the new senator will be from the same party.

Both in America and Australia only part of the senate is up for election at each election. I wonder if this was designed to prevent dramatic changes in the senate.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Mike375 said:
In Australia the new senator is appointed by the state premier and precedent usually dictates the new senator will be from the same party.

Both in America and Australia only part of the senate is up for election at each election. I wonder if this was designed to prevent dramatic changes in the senate.

Absolutely. On third of the Senate is elected every 2 years. Not just dramatic, but also inexperienced. Although now days that might be a blessing.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:35
Mike375 said:
In Australia and I think England, the majority leader of the House would be the Prime Minister......thus for us the results of the American election would be a change in gov't.
Do Americans see this result as change in gov't?
No, I go back to what I said before.
During the Clinton lame duck years, when the house and senate went from Demo control to Repub control, and there were all these "new young faces" (news media kept harping on that) and how they were going to change the "way things are done" in Washington. Seems the older ones that have been there awhile, finally subdued them into the "old ways", and nothing really changed. A lot fo them even dropped out next election because they were frustrated with not being able to get anything done. I would think if we (USA) really wanted change, we would put in Term Limits and do away with straight ticket voting.
But how do you get those that benefit from NOT having that, enact changes?

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 10:35
Rich said:
Doesn't Bush have to have sex with a tart before he can be impeached and what's a big one?:confused:

Like that movie, American Pie?

msp

Registered User.
Local time
Another question, Hilary Clinton has just been re-elected as the Governor of New York (I think) if she (or any other newly elected Governor) goes for president and are in the final running. Do they have to resign from being Governor when they run for President? Or can they return to Governor if they lose if they win who become State Governor?

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
I haven't checked the facts, but if memory serves correctly a candidate does not have to resign their office in order to run for another. If they win they must resign, of course, and if they are up for re-election the same year they can't run for two offices at once. If Hilary runs for President in 2008 she would not be up for re-election to the senate, so if she loses she would remain a senator.

I might be wrong; I'm not positive. But I also remember when Bob Dole ran against Clinton he resigned from the senate to focus on his campaign and it became a big controversy/joke, so it obviously wasn't the norm. The thing I'm really unsure of, though, is what happens to their vacant seat if they win.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
It has its moments. It's mostly juvenile humor but it's definitely one of the better films of the genre (i.e., the stupid/sexy teen comedy).

statsman

Local time
It is my understanding that in the US, when a senator dies or resigns, the state governor appoints the replacement. The replacement is not necessarily of the same party. It is also a tradition in some states that when a senator loses an election he will resign and the new senator will be appointed to serve the last few months. This gives the new senator seniority over the rest of the incoming group. Good for plumb committee assignments etc. Its in the states best interest to have the most senior senators.
Hillary was re-elected as senator from New York, not govenor.
Compared to other first ladies, Laura Bush has kept a pretty low profile.
I'm not sure what the law is in the US, but in Canada a person may only hold one elected position. They are not required to resign the first position until they are elected to the second.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Rich said:
Was she a lady when she killed another motorist and didn't even face prosecution for the offence?:rolleyes:
Didn't that happen to Eddie Kennedy? something about a girl - a bridge etc:confused: or am I on the wrong track

Col

Idjit

Clamoring Preschooler
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Didn't that happen to Eddie Kennedy? something about a girl - a bridge etc:confused: or am I on the wrong track

Col

He prefers "Teddy", but yep, you're thinking of Chappaquiddick. But Laura had her own little "incident".

When people started coming down on Hastert for not investigating the charges against Foley, a republican from out east actually played the Chappaquiddick card - he said "At least he (Hastert) didn't drive off a bridge and leave a girl to die." It made me wonder whether the republicans are supposed to get a free pass for everything short of negligent homicide.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Thanks Idjit.

Your signature says
"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you."

wouldn't you need only find one sprinkle? after that the sprinkle (ee) would be dead, so sprinkles numbering from 2 to. . . . . whatever would be irrelevant? How can you kill someone lots of times?:D ;)

BTW - I used to live in Lancing, Sussex UK

Col

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
wouldn't you need only find one sprinkle? after that the sprinkle (ee) would be dead, so sprinkles numbering from 2 to. . . . . whatever would be irrelevant? How can you kill someone lots of times?:D ;)

Col, that's the joke. It's a line from 'Family Guy'.

Idjit

Clamoring Preschooler
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Thanks Idjit.

Your signature says

BTW - I used to live in Lancing, Sussex UK

Col

I kind of thought that's what made it funny. But maybe you had to be there. :D

I've been thinking I need a new signature and avatar anyway. Given my screen name, maybe a photo and quote from Bush?

Idjit

Clamoring Preschooler
Local time
Matt Greatorex said:

Exactly. It's also funny because it's delivered by an evil genius baby.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Matt Greatorex said:
Oh right - a joke from an American TV show. Thats ok, not sure we get "Family Guy" here:confused:

It just struck me when I read your post just now.

Actually, I don't know what sprinkles are, do we have those in the UK?

Col

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Oh right - a joke from an American TV show. Thats ok, not sure we get "Family Guy" here:confused:

Yes you do. I was an avid viewer before I left the UK. I believe SJMcAbney used to have one of the characters as his avatar.

Actually, I don't know what sprinkles are, do we have those in the UK?

Gorwing up, I knew them as 'Hundreds and Thousands'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom