Reading Between the Lines (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yesterday, 20:13
Microsoft, has recently had a spat of favorable sounding media articles of how they are now "supporting" open source efforts. A Verge headline: Microsoft: we were wrong about open source. Really? Is Microsoft really changing its tune?

Microsoft president Brad Smith now believes the company was wrong about open source. “Microsoft was on the wrong side of history when open source exploded at the beginning of the century, and I can say that about me personally,” said Smith in a recent MIT event. Smith has been at Microsoft for more than 25 years and was one of the company’s senior lawyers during its battles with open-source software.
The good news is that, if life is long enough, you can learn … that you need to change,” added Smith. Microsoft has certainly changed since the days of branding Linux a cancer. The software giant is now the single largest contributor to open-source projects in the world, beating Facebook, Docker, Google, Apache, and many others.
Well maybe Microsoft has been " the single largest contributor to open-source projects". But, as I have read these types of articles, it seems the contribution that Microsoft has made is akin to being a Trojan Horse. If Microsoft really was "buying into" the open source concept, they could immediately do a couple of things. One, revise the Windows boot-loader to recognize other operating systems. Second, allow Windows to "see" other partitions that don't use the Windows file system.

Since, these obvious simple actions have not been undertaken, it appears that what Microsoft is actually doing is creating an open source subsystem embedded in Windows so that the customer would still be required to buy a Windows license. Not much benefit in that, as you can install an open source operating system, such as Linux, without having anything to do with Windows.

Microsoft, of course, is free to keep Window proprietary. Nevertheless, it is disingenuous of them to claim that they are adopting open source standards when the customer would still be forced to buy the Windows operating system.[/quote]

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:13
Now THAT would be interesting. For a long time, Digital Equipment Corporation distributed source code for its operating systems. I've seen code for DEC RSX-11M and VAX/VMS operating systems. Some versions of UNIX are also open.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yesterday, 20:13
Now THAT would be interesting. For a long time, Digital Equipment Corporation distributed source code for its operating systems. I've seen code for DEC RSX-11M and VAX/VMS operating systems. Some versions of UNIX are also open.
An obscure footnote type comment. There is FreeDos. Other than knowing that it exists, I know nothing about it.

FreeDOS is a complete, free, DOS-compatible operating system that you can use to play classic DOS games, run legacy business software, or develop embedded systems. Any program that works on MS-DOS should also run on FreeDOS.

Keeping the MS-DOS dream alive. We also need a moment of remembrance and silence for DR-DOS.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:13
Though I didn't have the source code for it, I had a system that ran DR-DOS. Obsolete and discarded LONG ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom