Record Archiving (1 Viewer)

C

cos001

Hi,

I currently have use of a project tracking database for (as you may have guessed :p ) tracking conntruction projects, including costs, progress etc etc.

What I would like to do is be able to remove and archive project records that have been completed. The database already has a checkbox which indicates project completion, so I guess there must be way to set up a query that uses this tickbox as criteria for record selection, then remove, archive and save these records as perhaps an excel file. :confused:

The whole idea of this is to reduce the operating size of this database so it doesn't get bogged down by our rubbish network.:D

Hope you can help.

cogent1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:48
A simple append query to append completed records to another archive database is all that's necessary. Then run a delete query on the same records and compact the database to finish the job.

BACK UP before you do this!

KAllen31

Registered User.
Local time
When you run the append query, you can append it to a new database, so you don't clog up your current.

I just tried this and it worked like a charm.

Good Luck

cogent1

Registered User.
Local time
But if you are enforcing referential integrity between tables, be sure to append/delete records in the right sequence. You need to append the ONE side records, then the MANY side. but delete the MANY side first, then the ONE side. Or set "cascade delete related records" in Relationships. Then you only need to delete the ONE side records and the MANY side ones are automatically deleted as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom