Record saving woes (1 Viewer)

jrjr

A work in progress
Local time
Today, 04:19
Ok, here is my scenario.

I have several FE's each saving in their own BE. They are all the same but for different areas of our business. Each has around 20-30 users. I recently introduced another form into the FE that has linked tables to another different BE in another folder. Each FE out there with its own BE now has this form and all of the new forms save to the same (one) BE. Ok, got it?

Now, sure its possible to have them all together and I would anticipate someone suggesting this. Its split up to keep sizes down and performance up among other reasons.

In any event, here I am. All of the new form introductions went smoothly without a hitch. The last one however is causing trouble. On submit an e-mail is sent, the user is asked if they want to submit another form, and if yes a new record is created. If no the form is closed.

E-mails are always sent, no problem. The trouble is saving the record. All except one of the different FE's I have out there in different folders save the record into the table just fine. There is one though that does not do this. The mail is sent and the program behaves normally with no errors but the record is not saved. This does not happen to all users of this FE either. There are some users that work fine and the record is saved in the BE yet other users do not save the record. You can see the .ldb appear and disappear. Our IT dept has been through the permissions time and time again and tell me they are ok. The FE and main BE are in one folder while the BE that the new form talks to is in its own folder. Remember, this works fine for several other instances, its just the one that doesn’t save the record.

I did have a chance to see the permissions the other day and it seems a mess to me. They have users in individually, as they were set up initially and the same users are also in there in a group and maybe 2 groups. The permissions look a mess to me… they really do…. but that doesn’t necessarily mean they would not work and can be blamed. I have no control over this part and it drives me nuts!

What I have done...... copied a working FE from another area into the troubled folder. No good. I have removed the new form along with its linked tables and the record is saved. Put the form and linked tables back in and it stops saving again. The code compiles just fine. I have done compact and repairs.

Any thoughts or ideas out there??? If you need more info ask. I understand what I wrote but you might not LOL

Attachments

• febe.jpg
    febe.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 135

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:19
What code are you using to save the record? Do you have warnings turned on?

jrjr

A work in progress
Local time
RuralGuy said:
What code are you using to save the record? Do you have warnings turned on?

Just closing the form or advancing to the next record has always saved the record in the past just fine and this is the way it normally works. I did place this code in the submit button just before the close form statement but it made no difference:

RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord

As far as warnings go, I have done nothing with them. I assumed that they are on by default and you need to turn them off if you don't want them. Is this correct?

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
What I have done...... copied a working FE from another area into the troubled folder. No good. I have removed the new form along with its linked tables and the record is saved. Put the form and linked tables back in and it stops saving again.
This suggests to me that the table that is not saving properly is in the normal BE and not the new added BE, is that correct? If so, how are those two elements related to the form you are having problems with?

jrjr

A work in progress
Local time
RuralGuy said:
This suggests to me that the table that is not saving properly is in the normal BE and not the new added BE, is that correct? If so, how are those two elements related to the form you are having problems with?

Yes that is correct. The original form that saves to the original BE is the one that stops saving when the new form and it's linked tables are added to the FE. This only happens with some users though. Thats the strange part, and the same setup works fine for everyone in other deployment areas.

There really is no relationship between the 2 forms or 2 BE's. They use and save totally independant data and the only common thread is that they are housed in the same FE. Both FE and BE are housed on the server rather than the user having their own copy of FE - so they are all using the same one. Well of course they use the same server permissions... thats what I keep trying to blame but I am not 100% sure yet.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Both FE and BE are housed on the server rather than the user having their own copy of FE - so they are all using the same one.
Does this mean everyone is using the same FE? If so, this is not a good situation for Access. Everyone should be using a different copy of the FE.

jrjr

A work in progress
Local time
Yes this is true, however, it has been working fine for almost 2 years and still works fine for a lot of people.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Well I've exhausted my bag of tricks. I can't even think of any diagostic code to add to pin down the problem. Maybe some guru will drop by with another approach or some fresh thoughts. Good luck.

jrjr

A work in progress
Local time
Well, thanks anyway.... it sure is a puzzler and I appreciate you taking some of your time to think about my issues.

As it stands now I am blaming permissions. If anyone else has an idea or something for me to try, please let me know. Any ideas are welcome at this point.

Edit:
OR if you can cuncur that the trouble is permissions PLEASE let me know that too!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom