recordset not updatable (1 Viewer)

prodigy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:21
Am a newbie to sql server2000. Have just started learning.

I have created two tables in sql server2000 <tblemployee> and <tbldept>. They are linked by (prim key) tblemployee.empid = tbldept.employeeid (foreign key)

used in relationship properties: <enforce relationship for INSERT and UPDATE>
<cascade update related fileds> <cascade delete related fileds>
I have created a form (access 2000) based with the help of the wizard to add/delete/update/view records. I can only view records and not do anything else. As I attempt to add/modify it says recordset not updatable.
Any suggestions pls...

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:21
Non-updatable recordsets are a common result with joined tables. Are you using a pass through query or a native Access query?

Use DAO or ADO to cycle through one table postioning to the appropriate recdord in the second table and updating the 2nd. It won't be as fast as a query, but will be very fast. You'll hardly notice the difference.

Another solution is to use a form (tblDept), related subform (tblEmpoloyee).

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Today, 09:21
Hi,

Try setting the unique table property on the form to the table that is being updated

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
If I haven't included the tables' primary keys into the recordsource of the form, I get an unupdatable recordset. Are they included?

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Depends on the primary key. Include it, and update it appropriately if it's (they're) not autonumbers. Autonumber primary keys don't have to be included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom