Referencing forms from other forms ? (1 Viewer)

liamfitz

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:23
This link in FAQ http://access.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0031.htm , suggests the following format, to reference a mainform's control's property from another form ...
Code:
Forms!Mainform!Controlname.property

However I continually get, " Cannot find the referenced form (formname )". I've tried several Mainforms, and the spelling/case of letters, is definitely correct. Could it be the syntax ?
:confused:

Trevor G

Registered User.
Local time
Do you have spaces in your form name, if so you may need to use square brackets

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Today, 11:23
I found this page most helpful when becoming comfortable with referring to controls on forms.

http://access.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0031.htm

I prefer not to use the ! deliminator syntax, and instead use function () type syntax:

Code:
    'Refresh the prior window UI
    Call Forms("adminauth").Refresh_Click(intAuthID)
So, this LOC reaches into the Forms collection and looks for a form named "adminauth", once found it sends that form the Refresh_Click event a message to be run, passing it one arg intAuthID.

Shallo9

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:23
Greetings

Please provide the name of the form and then the name of the control and the property you'd like to change?

liamfitz

Registered User.
Local time
My command line is ...

Code:
Forms!frmAfAIS(test)!lblTest.Caption

I take the point about 'miscellaneous' characters - maybe the brackets are an issue. I'll ltry the SQUARE Brackets technique. Thank you.
:eek:

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Today, 11:23
I take the point about 'miscellaneous' characters

I would suggest only letters a-z, numbers 0-9, and underscore _ characters to achieve the best compatibility.

liamfitz

Registered User.
Local time
I've changed the form's name, and now it works ( no special characters ! ) Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom