Relationships in Tables (1 Viewer)

wjoc1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:47
I am backing up all the tables in my database onto a blank database using the DoCmd.CopyObject method. This is working fine but I have trouble with tables that are in relationships. I want to keep the relationships but I am prevented from copying over tables that are in relationships. How do I get around this problem?

Thanks,

Liam

wizcow

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:47
Liam

Here is one scenario that may work for you.

1. In <Tools> <Database Utilities> <Databse Splitter> split your database. This puts your tables in a db of its own, called the back end. Your original db called the front is linked to the back end.

2. Now you can simply copy and paste the whole back end db.

Note: Your relationships will have to be redone in the back end db after you split your db. The relationships will stay intact when you copy and paste.

The back end has all the tables, so it has all the data. This usually is what you want frequently back up. The back end db is much smaller because it has no forms or controls, making it a breeze to back up.

Hope that helps

Tom

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:47
Relationships are ONLY necessary to enforce RI. They serve NO other purpose. If your data is periodically replaced with data from another source, you are not updating it (Your updates would be lost). Therefore, you have no need for RI. Remove the relationships. As long as RI is enforced in the source db, the data should come to you in a "correct" state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom