Replacing Run time error 3022 (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:13
Thank you everyone for your insights! I did have the OnError code in the incorrect place, that is after the error occurred.

When I corrected this it worked perfectly!

In regard to the unbound form, I use this as some of the data is used to update other tables as well.

Many thanks again

OnError in wrong place? Now it makes sense as to why no interception. Glad to have contributed in the fix.

In regard to the unbound form, I use this as some of the data is used to update other tables as well.

Your app is yours and I will not try to second-guess it too much. However, you should be aware that repeating data among multiple tables is often a sign of incorrect design. When a database is normalized, it removes a lot of duplication and shrinks the database's table size anywhere from a little bit to a whole lot.

Further, using the data to update other forms still isn't a valid reason to not use a bound form so that you have one less table to manually update. Do as you must for your app, but I hope to offer a little food for thought. My philosophy over the years has been to make the computer do much of my work for me so that I don't have to personally work QUITE so hard. Using the features built into Access would be one example of "work smarter, not harder." PLEASE don't take that as a personal criticism, just take it as an old patootie passing along advice that MIGHT be helpful.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:13
For my purposes, I see no value in distinguishing between assuring unique index, non-Null, or a required value for a field. It's all part of a data validation process.
You you don't use RI? I don't believe I've ever examined a database that didn't use RI that didn't also have data anomalies:(

@Drand
That isn't a reason to use unbound forms. When you use a RAD tool like Access, you accept a large footprint and lots of restrictions. But you are willingly (seemingly, unknowingly) giving up the most powerful feature of your tool and probably violating normalization rules as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom