Report Width Property Insists on Remaining at 39.418cm (1 Viewer)

GregMiller

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:08
I am an occasional Access user and so please bear with me while I ask a daft question.

I am designing a report to be printed in portrait orientation on A4 paper. I have selected those attributes in "Page Setup". I then find that the Report Width property is automatically set to 39.418cm which I assume is the width of two A4 sheets in portrait orientation less an allowance for margins. The width of my records fits comfortably onto a singe A4 sheet in portrait orientation. Therefore on the default setting I would get a page of data alternating with a blank page when printed. I thought I could solve the problem by amending the Report Width property to something like 19.709cm but when I try to do that the property value reverts to 39.418cm. I assume there must be another property that allows the Report Width property to be set to the width of a single A4 sheet in portrait orientation but I can't find one.

I have used this forum before and so I am confident that an expert member will be able to provide me with the answer to this problem which is no doubt obvious to any competent Access developer. Thank you for your patience in reading this post.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 17:08
There will likely be a control/line that prevents you reducing to that value, as they exist beyond that value.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:08
Also check for layout boundaries, which are invisible except in design mode. Access won't let you truncate anything by moving margins, so that behavior (as Gasman pointed out) suggests there is something near the rightmost margin that is preventing the size adjustment. If you clear out the blocking item, you should be able to do so.

However, remember to check not only the Detail section, but also both header and footer sections for Group Header/Footer, Page Header/Footer, and the Report Header/Footer. Any one of them having something at the right margin would have the same effect.

GregMiller

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:08
Thanks Gasman and The_Doc_Man for your replies. It looks like a page footer containing a page number which had been inserted automatically in the bottom right of each "double" A4 page was the problem. It seems a little odd to me to treat two A4 pages side-by-side as a single page. Any book that I have ever seen would treat that as two separate pages. Once I got rid of the rogue "page number" I was able to adjust the Report Width property to what I would think should have been the default value (ie 19.7cm for an A4 portrait page after allowing for margins).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:08
Glad our suggestion helped! Good luck as you proceed further into your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom