Run stored procedure providing variables from form (1 Viewer)

Anakardian

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:13
Good morning

Following concerns about someone accidentally deleting the access database we have been using to crunch performance numbers, I have successfully moved the data on to an SQL server :D

While the database works as it is, several of the queries are running extremely slow. I therefore decided to see if a stored procedure could run the number crunching on the server instead of passing the data back and forth all the time.
I have taken the series of queries and converted them into a stored procedure that runs too fast for me to blink while giving the same results as before.

The problem I face is that I can trigger the stored procedure from the server management studio manually while supplying the variables needed thus providing the data I need to export to excel in a table for this purpose.

What I want to do is to have a form in access supply the chosen variables (like I could before) and run the stored procedure at the click of a button as part of a series of other queries.

I have looked at pass-through queries but apparently they do not take kindly to variables unless they are hardcoded.
The other solution would be to trigger it from VBA but I have not been able to find a solution I could get to work, much less understand.

Does anyone know how to run a stored procedure on an SQL server from access while also giving it the variables it needs?

Stored procedure name: spNearMissCalculation
Variables:

• @SelectedDate (date format) (taken from a form field)
  • @SelectedVessel (nvarchar(max) format) (taken from a form field)
  • @SelectedVesselGroup (nvarchar(max) format) (taken from a form field)

Anakardian

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you Minty.

With a slight change to the way the stored procedure worked, mainly related to converting the string values coming from Access to date and such, the whole thing works brilliantly.

I ended up with this result:
Code:
Set Cn = New ADODB.Connection
Cn.Open = "Performance leadership" 'the machine data source of the SQL database. make a pass-through query to see the name to use under teh connection property.

spSQL = "EXEC dbo.spNearMissCalculation '"
spSQL = spSQL & [Forms]![frmSelectVessel]![cboSelectedDate] & "' , '"
spSQL = spSQL & [Forms]![frmSelectVessel]![cboSelectedVessel] & "' , '"
spSQL = spSQL & [Forms]![frmSelectVessel]![cboSelectedVesselGroup] & "' "

Cn.Execute (spSQL)

Cn.Close

Set Cn = Nothing

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:13
Another alternative is to run the Stored Procedure with an ADODB Command. These support a Parameters Collection.

Anakardian

Registered User.
Local time
I am not sure what you refer to Galaxiom.

I found another way that was supposed to work with inputting parameters however I could not get it to work and the thread where I found it ended without a working solution.

If you could post a simple example I would appreciate it.
It is always good to know more than one way of achieving the same goal as well as why one or the other should be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom