Saving Attachments Outside of Database (1 Viewer)

Cat_129

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:27
Morning All

I started a thread earlier on how best to manage my data because we are going to reach data limits soon (https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=308028)

Currently there is an attachment field on the form which is heavily being used. What I need to do is remove the attachments from the database and have them stored on the network instead, but look and behave as close to the attachment box as possible. There will be multiple attachments per form in multiple formats.

To add more pain to this, each person has their network drives mapped differently so will need it use the either the server name or its IP as part of the save / hyperlink / retrieve function.

I really don't know where to start with this so any help is seriously appreciated.

I managed to shrink the backend down to 1.1GB so buy some time while this is completed.

Thanks,
Cat

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well I'd store them in a folder below the BE, so it did not matter who was mapped where.?
However I would not know what code is needed to remove attachments and replace with links, other than Googling.

Cat_129

Registered User.
Local time
Well I'd store them in a folder below the BE, so it did not matter who was mapped where.?
However I would not know what code is needed to remove attachments and replace with links, other than Googling.

Yes, they will be stored on the same server as the backend in the same folder structure so it is all held in the same place.

I've done some googling but I dont understand the code well enough to tweak it to my needs or if it even does what I need. This stuff is beyond my knowledge

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well make sure you run it on a test copy of your DB :D
I had a quick Google, and could only find a Delete function.
I did find that the attachments are actually held in another 'system' table.

HTH

Cat_129

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I am working on the test version that is outside of the server. I am using this as a basis at the moment which I found from a previous thread.

I dont understand 100% but get most of it https://www.access-diva.com/d15.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom