Screen Updating (1 Viewer)

durdle

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:28
Hey Everyone,

In the code Form_Load() I hide 6 charts which are based on a value in a Textbox on my form. So initially the charts are hidden with null values.
So next when the user enters a value in the textbox and clicks a command button the charts appear with null values. But I want the form to update to the values entered in the textbox which is doesn't.
I have researched the echo action but only had trouble with access locking up.
Any Ideas would be great?

Thanks
Chris
________
vapor genie

Last edited:

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:28
How about requering the form or specific fields within the form?

Check the help files for the Requery method for examples and more info.

HTH

durdle17

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks ghudson

The Requery worked great.

Chris

durdle17

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

I just want to expand on this a little. When I load my form my mouse changes to an hourglass(for a few seconds) due to "not visible" graphs running in the backround. I was wondering if there is a way to stop this from happening meaning the to turn off the screen updating. I have tring using Echo but that just freezes up access then I have to restart.

Any Suggestions?
I assume the code would go into the Form Load().

Thanks

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I'm not sure I understand you correctly. If you want to turn off the hourglass, you can do so with the following code:

DoCmd.Hourglass False

Look up Mouse pointer properties for more info in Access help.

Hope that helps,

Vassago

durdle17

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Vassago,

But I don't I explained it clear enough. So I will try again.
When my form loads it has 6 graphs hidden which run based on a textbox on my form. I want to prevent this 6 graphs from running, sort of like turning of Screen Updating similar to Excel. Since this 6 graphs are really queries I want to do the opposite of a Requery.(I do not want these queries to run when the form loads)

Thanks
Chris

**Edit**
I have having trouble reposting so I will put my comments below regarding Rich's post.

Rich,

I do not load them they are just hidden on the form. So when I open the form those charts will look at the null value in the textbox and put null values in all the charts. This is what causes the hourglass to show up for 10 or 15 secs.

Chris

Last edited:

durdle17

Registered User.
Local time
Rich,

I don't load them at runtime they are just hidden on the form. So when I open the form those charts will look at the null value in the textbox and put null values in all the charts. This is what causes the hourglass to show up for 10 or 15 secs.

Thanks
Chris

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Why not prompt the user ahead of time for the value. That way the form can open with the charts visible and populated.

durdle17

Registered User.
Local time
Great Idea Pat.

Not sure how I would set it up. Currently I have 6 charts which are based on queries(May have to add another 12 charts to the form). A field in the queries(txtstdate) points to the value on the form. How could I devert those queries to the pop up box which I would prompt the user? IE.[Enter Start Date]

Chris

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You don't need to divert them. You can leave the field on the form. But rather than opening the form from the switchboard, open an intermediate form that collects the data and then opens the form with the charts. In the Open event of the form with the charts, populate the text field with the value entered on the intermediate form.

I don't think this will speed up the form opening but at least when it opens it will be populated so people won't mind as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom