Scroll bar not appearing (1 Viewer)

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:47
I am stumped. I have a form "Mon_Reporting_Form" that is not able to scroll because there is no vertical scroll bar. I have remade the form, thinking it has become corrupt, but no change. It seems to work sometimes, but mostly not. Of course, I have checked the properties and the vertical scroll it marked to show. I actually made a copy of one of the other days that work all the time and after making the needed changes the problem still happens. Not sure why this is happening. I made a link to the database in my google drive, it's too big to share here. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 20:47
I cannot even open it?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I don't normally download external files but have done so in this case
You have locked it down so much for your own use that it makes it much harder for any of us to look at properly.
However, I have opened the Monday reporting form & there is a vertical scrollbar on my screen. (See attached)
As I'm not sure whether the data is sensitive I've redacted some info - if its still giving away info you don't want published let me know & I'll delete the image.

Anyway, I suggest you upload a cut down copy of this database with just the relevant items and enough data to allow that form to work. Anonymise it first if necessary. Remove all security to allow members to get straight to the form.
Then compact, zip & upload

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 185

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
By the way, all the information in the database is made up for testing purposes.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
That's exactly the route I followed but for another person
I agree that there is no scrollbar for the example you gave but that's because it doesn't contain enough data for the scrollbar to appear. However for my example (Rick Smith) there is more data than can be shown on the screen so the scrollbar appears. That's standard Access behaviour - nothing to do with your app.

BTW its really difficult to close that form - I had to right click as you've not provided a close button

If you want more help, please can you do what I asked. It will get more response from members here

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
That's the problem, at the bottom of that form is a close button. You can't scroll down to the bottom of the page. You can on all the other days, but not Monday on that person and a few others. "Rick Smith" seems to be working the right way, but have no clue as to why one person works and not the other.

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
There is so much code that is used moving from form to form, setting Temporary values, calling queries. I am not sure how to go about cutting this project down to make it easier for everyone else.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Suggestions
1. Move your close button to the top
2. Enable the close button at the top right of the screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
That's simply a quick change in the properties. Just right-clicking and hitting close does the same thing. My boss didn't want to be able to see any part of the access interface, that's why everything is programmed to close and open by hitting buttons. Making the close visible in the upper right will not fix the issue of the scroll bar not showing.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Nothing wrong with hiding the Access application interface. In fact I have several apps where I take the idea further than you have. See my example app Controlling the Application Interface.

However it is essential that the forms remain usable by suitable placement of controls. As already stated, the scrollbar is shown only when needed. Its visibility cannot otherwise be modified.
So in this case follow suggestion 1 and move your Close button to the top of the form so it is always visible.

As you have disabled the small X close button at the top right of the screen, I suggest you hide the control box so the X can't be seen

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
Just a little confused as to why you think the scroll bar is not showing. The form has enough information. There are points and buttons on the bottom of the form and with that alone, the scroll bar should appear. I gotta take off for a little bit but will be checking back soon. Thanks for all the help thus far, but I still think the scroll bar should be appearing even if there are no records at all, there are enough objects in the form to justify it showing. I can't wait to take a look at the program you sent.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I no longer have your app having deleted it after my initial reply.
So I never even saw your close button at the bottom as I had no reason to know it was thre or that it mattered. So even if the scrollbar is visible, firing users to scroll to the bottom to close the form is, in my opinion, poor design

Just to repeat my previous comments.
If a total of say 30 records will fit vertically on your screen, then the vertical scrollbar will appear if you have at least 31 records but not otherwise.

Another solution would be to use a form header and footer. Size the form to ensure both always remain visible and place your close button in one of those sections.

Last edited:

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
This is very aggravating. The weekly forms are all the same, with the exception of the data that may change. All the settings and properties are identical. With the user "Brian Kelly", it is only on the Monday form that the scroll bar does not show. All the other days the scroll bar appears and the record count is the same for every day of the week. The theory that the scroll bar is not showing because there is no data, is not the case or the other days would not be showing either. Still stumped. The link to the google drive still works and it's not a zip file.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:47
I started digging in and my laptop started acting up again (long story, nothing to do with your db) and had to quit for now. Too frustrating - will have to reboot (maybe, depending on what comes after this post). What I was working on is your form design. I followed your instructions and saw what I figure Isladogs is referring to. Problem is, your subform controls are way too big if you're not going to have scroll bars on your main form. You can't see anything below the first sub because you can't scroll on the main form, which has no records anyway. Turn on the scroll bar(s) for the main form and you'll be able to scroll down to where the other subforms are. See if that affects what you're trying to describe as the issue. If your subforms have scroll bars, then there's no need to make each subform control so tall. I don't know what you use to view this db, but it must be awfully tall (like a tv monitor) because it's huge on my laptop.

I didn't get far enough to figure out why you have a subform in the main header, as that can be part of the issue as well. If you can't scroll through a header or footer (I can't recall if that's an option) then it will never move. Wondering why it's not in the detail section with the others, as is normal.

I will support what's been said about making your db so hard to navigate through. That's fine for your own needs, but you ought to remove all the barriers that exist when asking for help. No reason why you can't do that in your posted copy and then incorporate whatever changes are suggested into your production copy. Things like no close buttons, control boxes, disallowing shortcut menus, making forms modal, etc. make it hard to help you. Given that we are just volunteers, it's asking a bit much for us to remove so many barriers.

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
I'm sorry guys about the Pop Out and Modal settings, but if I change them then I don't see the problem with the scroll bar not appearing. There is always a scroll bar in the regular view, so you don't know if it's not showing or not. I need to keep it the way it is meant to function in order to debug it properly. I hope you understand. I find it quite easy to jump in and out of design mode. All you have to do when it's in full-screen mode, just right click and go into design view. If there are two forms open, just click design again and there both shrunk down and you can see all the properties and code associated with the buttons. I don't understand why it's only happening on the Monday form, I even copied the Tuesday form and turned it into a Monday form, thinking there was some type of corruption. If you check "Select All" for "Brian Kelly" or a few others, there is no bar on Monday, but it shows up on all the other days. Gotta be something going on here.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
If you check "Select All" for "Brian Kelly" or a few others, there is no bar on Monday, but it shows up on all the other days.
I was just about to post that I can't replicate that, then I realized you must be talking about the main form scroll bar. That one disappears. Is that it?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
OK, I'd say it's because when you load the Monday form, this is part of the code runs
Form_FRM_Mon_Challenges.ScrollBars = 0
but not for other days.
You might not want to read this, but your db has way too many forms, reports, queries, that are all basically the same thing. You don't create a form for every day of the week. Same for reports, queries or whatever. You reuse forms and reports by basing them on queries and/or filters. Queries are fed parameters (one way or another) rather than creating a query for every day of the week. Your approach might prove to be one of your biggest headaches going forward.

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
I figured out the issue when I took a break for a bit. I came back and found it before I opened this. Thanks for everything. I do realize that this database is bulky, to say the least. It was my first time working with access and using VBA. I'm sure my next project will be much better. I actually got rid of some forms, perhaps I can work on trimming it down a bit. Thanks again.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Glad to see you got it solved.
Good luck with the improvements!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom