Second Post - Need to uninstall (2 Viewers)

deadman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:12
I posted this a while back and didn't get any response. Is there anyone that can help with this? Is my question making sense?

I think that I need to COMPLETELY UNINSTALL Access 2000 and then reinstall.

The reason that I am doing this is to hopefully correct what seems to be corruption. When I open my database by opening Access and selecting the correct db from the "Open existing file" list, all is well. But when I click on the shortcut to the db that I put on the desktop, or open Windows Explorer and click on it there, I get a critical error message saying that it "can't find the db file or one of it's components is missing." After I close the error message, all seems well.

I have two computers and have copied the same db to the second computer and have no problems at all which leads me to believe that the problem is Access, not the db.

I have used the Office install cd to repair and did not get any benefit from doing so. I have also tried the ADD/Remove components button from the install cd, but can't see any way to Remove, just add. I have also gone through the standard Windows uninstall wizard.

It seems that I read here, or some other forum, that there was something called a hard uninstall or something like that which totally wipes out all remnants of Access but can't seem to locate that post.

If there is something I should do other than reinstall, I am open to suggestions.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

deadman

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the reply, Cogent1. Unfortunately that's not the problem. The support page that you directed me to is referring to the problems that occur when you install Access 97 on a machine that had/has Access 2000. My machine has only had Access 2000 installed on it...no other versions. Thanks anyway. Anyone else have an idea?

cogent1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:12
You say that the program works OK from within Access, but not from the shortcut. This seems to point to an error in the command line syntax. What are the properties for the shortcut?

Have you tried importing all the elements of your db into a new one, renaming the database or creating a new shortcut?

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:12
Office comes with a copy of the Access runtime. So, if you installed a separate copy of Access after Office was installed, you are probably having a conflict with the previously installed runtime version. There may be left over registry entries that are causing the problem.

Follow the steps in the posted reference because the problem may also exist when you install a separate copy of A2K. The knowledge base will also have more articles on installation problems.

You can also try -
My computer/view/File Types - and fix the reference for the Access file types. They can all be found under "Microsoft Access" in the list.

deadman

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks everyone, so much for your ideas and assistance. Sorry that I hadn't responded back a little sooner. I have a couple fires that have come up that need to be put out before I can get back to messing with this. As soon as I get the oportunity, (in 2 or 3 days) I'll give the suggestions a try and let you all know how it went. Thanks again.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom