Select only fields = True (1 Viewer)

TLO

Local time
Today, 23:13
Hi! I'm having problems creating a query for a Product that only returns the fields where the values are True or Yes. Screen shots of my tables are below.

1598223727760.png

1598223780961.png

I want a list of all records for Product eAG where the fields from T_PROD_REQs that are True and the fields from T_PROD_COUNTRIES are Yes, so I created a select query. When I run my select query for all EAG records, I get all fields, regardless of value, which makes sense. But if I enter True and Yes criteria in all of the columns, my results are all empty. What am I doing wrong?

I'm not terribly comfortable with SQL unless I have an example to use, but any guidance in Design view or SQL is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!
1598223943925.png

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 06:13
You don't have a database you have an Access based spreadsheet. You need to read up on normalization:

Thats the process of properly setting up your tables. What you want to do is trivially easy with a properly set up table structure. With what you have its going to be an enormous task.

In table T_PROD_REQS you have a field called '101A'. Does the 101 or the A represent anything outside of your database? Does 101 represent the department or file room or anything in your organization? Or is it just a way to differentiate field names in this table of many fields?

TLO

Local time
Today, 23:13
Thanks for the quick reply! What I'm trying to do is migrate a spreadsheet layout to a database and am definitely having problems envisioning the table design..

My master spreadsheet has rows of unique requirements (e.g. 10.1A) and each column is a country with an indicator as to whether each requirement is applicable to that country. Right now, I maintain a separate spreadsheet for each Product, that only includes countries that are applicable to that product.

I created a table of all requirements from the rows in my master spreadsheet, a table for each country listing those requirements, and table listing the applicable requirements for each product, and a table listing the applicable countries for each product. I'm trying to create a query where I can pull only the applicable requirements for the applicable countries for a specific product.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 06:13
I take that to mean 10.1A does have meaning outside your spreadsheet--It references some sort of document listing requirements. While you should definitely read up on normalization, work through a few tutorials and then apply what you learn to your data; I will tell you how your product requirements table should be structured.

One goal of a database is to accomodate data vertically (with more rows) and not horizontaly (with more fields). So, to know which requirements go to which products you simply need a 3 field table:

tblRequirements
field name, data type, description
req_ID, autonumber, primary key
ID_Product, number, foreign key to tblProducts which tells you which product this requirement is for
req_Number, text, this will hold what you currently have as your field names (101A, 102H, etc)

That's it. Those 3 fields let you know which requirements are applicable to all your products. There is no True/False field because if a product and a requirement are in the above table it means true.

That's just your requirements table. You still need to read up on normalization and do all your data following its rules. I suggest you read up, set up the tables you think you need in a blank Access database, complete the Relationship Tool in that database, expand all your tables there so you can see all the fields, then post a screen shot of it back here so we can verify you have the correct table structure. Then we can move on to building your query you initially posted about.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 07:13
To add. Once you figure out the correct structure it will be so much easier to manage. You will probably end up with 3 or four fields vs whatever you have now. Also you can use a normalizing query to take your current data and import into your new structure. You do not have to manually enter the old data into the new structure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom