Sending records from one user to another user (1 Viewer)

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:43
Hello experts,
I have some questions if something is possible.

It is possible to make in MS Access a form ( formX) that will be used for sending records from one user to another user?
User1 make some new records and user2 must sign that records. I have 4 forms and user1 can produce records from 4 differents forms almost in the same time.
I want that when user2 login into database he is not searching what he needs to sign, i need something that he will see very fast what he need to do.

Idea:
-you user1 just created some new records in form1 ( example:ID:1,3,5)
- from form1 you choose which records must be signed by user2 and you click the button1 ( send records?) to another user, user2 ( you choose to who user you will send?)
- the records that user1 marked from form1 are going to the formX
-user2 login into database and get the message: hello user2 you have one new message
-user2 open the formX ( the form I want to have) and he see the records that are wainting for him to be signed

is something like that possible? or something similiar? something that will take attention to user2 which records are not signed..so he will check the records and make the signing process?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:43
Hi. Yes, that's very possible. For example, you could have a field to indicate who needs to sign the record and then use a query to filter the records based on that field.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 12:43
You would not 'send' the records to another user.

You would modify the user field for that record, from user1 to user2.

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Hello
yes i understand your suggestion but i need something like another special form that will have only sended records inside
hmm
thanks

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:43
You are essentially talking about approval sequencing, or what the U.S.Navy called a "chop chain" - where everyone takes a chop at something in a given order until everyone has had a turn.

You do this by putting a field in the record that says "who gets this next" - which implies a couple of possible solutions immediately, like a pre-stored list of people with a numeric key in the order that the corresponding person would see it. OR there are alternatives for things that have more than one possible route, such as pick-lists (via combo box) or a complex list of step number and department number.

In EITHER case, this extra field would be the basis of a QUERY and your form would then use the query as its recordsource rather than using a table directly. The query can have every field that the table would have, but would include a WHERE clause to select only those records with the specified "next person in order" so that person would see those records and nothing else. If the department is significant, the WHERE clause could include that option.

This also implies that you have users with separate usernames or IDs or something so that you can drive the process by knowing who your user is and thus implement filtration at all. This sort of HAS to be there since otherwise anyone could sign anything in any order (if no one has IDs).

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 07:43
I discuss some task flow design considerations here.

As far as I know there is no way to "send" an instant message through multiple instances of Access. Each user would have a timer that is querying t he datbase for changes. If the user has an added or deleted task then there form requeries showing this updates. The faster you make your timer the more resources are consumed. So you will have to way how fast this needs to happen. But you can make this "seem" like someone sent you a message. The timer could pop up a message on a new record with the Message "You have new Task ...... created by John. Smith at 12:18 on 4/4/2021".

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Hello
thank you TheDocMan and MajP both for your suggestions.
i will look and think what i can do.
Thank you

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:43
Here is an example of a custom chat utility I made for one of my dbs:
For your initial question you could add code to the opening event of your opening (switchboard) form in which you do a dCount on the query which shows the records assigned to user2 and prompt to open FormX(to have all this working nicely you will need some sort of login process to identify who just logged in, the easiest would be to use just a table with Windows user names and use Environ("UserName") to get the current user).
Cheers,
Vlad

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Hello
thank you both. I think now i know what i have to do. It is good example Vlad.
i need to see also the IslaDogs example.
Isladogs can you append me here your example? i cant dowloaded it from the utter access site..hmmm
thank you very much

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:43
Hi. Its not my own example but I doubt the author Lena Wood will object to me forwarding it.
I've converted it to ACCDB but otherwise its exactly as written back in 2006.
Login in as e.g. Duck, Donald

However, I do have something similar as part of my own example app Attention Seeking Database - Mendip Data Systems

Attachments

• AlmostInstantMessenger.zip
    100.4 KB · Views: 567

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Hello
Thank you very much
I find both examples Lena and Vlad are very good.
Now i have to think and make some changes.
thank very much to all fast responses.
Best regards

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
and yes your example on your site is also good
i will try to make some good combination
thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom