Set up Headset (1 Viewer)

DavidRS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:05
Can anyone help?

I've got a new headset to use with a language software and I am having trouble in using it. The headphones work just fine but the microphone will not work properley. The best I get is a load of static with my voice faintly heard in the background. I've tried playing with all the audio settings and still no joy.

I using a Compaq Evo laptop with just its onboard sound card. It's driving me nuts that i can't get it going.

Heaps of thanks in advance.

David :confused:

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:05
Are you sure it's in the mic input (pink) not the line input (blue) ?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 15:05
Also, have you opened the mixer and enabled the Microphone Boost under the Advanced button on the Recording mixer?

DavidRS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:05
Cheers guys,

Minkey - My laptop has only got two ports - one for headphones and one for a mic and neither are coloured. I've checked the symbols and they match those on the jacks.

Bob - I've tried doing that but all that happens is that I get a load of static in my ears and it still does not work. Also, when I disconnect the mic with the boost setting on, I get a massive amount of feedback noise that only stops if I deselect the boost.

Any ideas?
:confused:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 15:05
That's a difficult one, since you seem to have checked the obvious potential problems. Each sound card can have some real variation in the way you have to deal with it.

You may have to mute the speaker output when using the mic; I've had PC's that had that problem before. But, without actually being there to play with it, I'm at a bit of a disadvantage as I work better "hands-on" and trying to write out potential problems is harder for me. I'm way more visual.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:05
The only other things I can think of:

Audio property settings - open the audio properties and go options > advanced and mute all unwanted sources one after another - see if that helps.

Try the headset in a different PC or a different headset in your laptop.

Is there any other audio software installed you can check (should be in device manager) - some manufacturers add their own odd software.

TBH is definatly sounds like a setting issue, if there is nothing wrong with the mic, though if you connect a mic to a line input (or a mic input thats set to line) you will get very faint audio (to sure about why your getting static).

If you plug a line input into a mic input you will get very loud distored audio.

There may also be something odd about the jack connector - is it connected directly into the mic input or have you used an adaptor.

Lastly :p - what is the make and model of the headset ? - I'll take a squint at the specs and make sure there nothing out of the ordinary.

Bob Miller

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:05
Is this voice recognition software? If it is, Microsoft recommends a high quality mike for it. Even if it isn't, the quality of the mike may be the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom