Severe problems after Win 10 & Office 365 update (1 Viewer)

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:47
Hi,

I bought a new PC and installed the newest Win 10 and Office 365. On my old PC, I had the same configuration, but older builds of Win 10 and Office 365. Before switching to the new PC, I had no problems with my Access app. The backend is a MySQL database, the connection is created with MySQL ODBC Driver v. 3.51. I never had problems, the linked tables remained linked also after long idle times. On my new PC, after short idle times, Access "crashes" - I get all kinds of errors and the accdb is corrupted. One of the errors is "unrecognized database format". I reverted Office back to the build I had on my old PC, but it didn't help. So could Win 10 be the cause? Thanks for help & ideas.

Frank

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, that are exactly the problems I'm facing. Changing DisableLeasing registry value didn't help though. I think I have to downgrade Win 10 to build 1709. Is that possible when I didn't update Win 10 but simply installed a fresh Win 10 on a formatted hard disk? FRANK

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 13:47
Sorry. Don't know the answer to that question. You could ask MS support

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
It's strange - my partner has the same build as I do (Win 10 1803). She has Win Pro though. She doesn't experience any problems at all with the same Access app configuration (ODBC connection etc.). However, I did a fresh install and she probably updated from a previous build. What could be the reason for my problems if we have the same config more or less?? Thanks for help!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:47
Another user on this forum is reporting an issue in which something works when they first launch Access and then launch the app from within Access (using the File menu to Open the app). But the same exact file doesn't work right when they launch directly. Have you tested both methods of launching the app? Directly and through Access?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time

Solo712

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:47
Hi,

I bought a new PC and installed the newest Win 10 and Office 365. On my old PC, I had the same configuration, but older builds of Win 10 and Office 365. Before switching to the new PC, I had no problems with my Access app. The backend is a MySQL database, the connection is created with MySQL ODBC Driver v. 3.51. I never had problems, the linked tables remained linked also after long idle times. On my new PC, after short idle times, Access "crashes" - I get all kinds of errors and the accdb is corrupted. One of the errors is "unrecognized database format". I reverted Office back to the build I had on my old PC, but it didn't help. So could Win 10 be the cause? Thanks for help & ideas.

Frank

Hi Frank,
whenever I run into the "unrecognized format" issue after I port my app into a new machine, newer OS or Access version the first thing I do is decompile and recompile. This usually fixes it. I don't know if this will solve your problem, but if you hadn't already give it a try.

Best,
Jiri

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
Another user on this forum is reporting an issue in which something works when they first launch Access and then launch the app from within Access (using the File menu to Open the app). But the same exact file doesn't work right when they launch directly. Have you tested both methods of launching the app? Directly and through Access?

...that doesn't help! Problems with both ways. Thanks though!

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Frank,
whenever I run into the "unrecognized format" issue after I port my app into a new machine, newer OS or Access version the first thing I do is decompile and recompile. This usually fixes it. I don't know if this will solve your problem, but if you hadn't already give it a try.

Best,
Jiri

Thanks, I'll try decompiling/recompiling. I never did it before. Just wanted to add that when I run my Access app as accde (the way I distribute it) there are no problems at all with Access or the MySQL connection (it behaves like before I got the new PC). Thanks for helping!! FRANK

Solo712

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:47
Thanks, I'll try decompiling/recompiling. I never did it before. Just wanted to add that when I run my Access app as accde (the way I distribute it) there are no problems at all with Access or the MySQL connection (it behaves like before I got the new PC). Thanks for helping!! FRANK

You are welcome.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
...that doesn't help!

Eliminating one source of a problem always helps but it might have led us in the proper direction if it had made a difference. On the other hand it eliminates an avenue we no longer have to explore.

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
Unfortunately, nothing helped so far… however I have a "workaround": If I use my Access app in accde file format, there are no problems at all. Only if use my app in accdb file format, there are serious problems. So hopefully there will be some Office / Win updates soon that will eliminate the underlying problem. Thanks, FRANK

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
That's a surprising work round to have 'solved' your issue and I can't see why it would help. Having said that, using an ACCDE is a good idea anyway.

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
Just to let you know - since a few days I'm using my accdb database again and there are no more problems, crashes, etc. So I guess that the issue has been resolved by recent Access updates…. FRANK

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Frank, welcome to the world of Windows Update Pandemonium. Before I retired, the Navy office where I worked would see these issues crop up as often as twice per month (the standard MS "patch" schedule was 1st and 3rd Tuesdays for us). I wish I could say I didn't know anything about that kind of problem, but it was all too common on Win7 (which we were still using when I retired.)

Dollars to donuts it was a "miscellaneous security patch" that did you in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom