shell to/from other MS documents (1 Viewer)

Roscoe24

User for 10 years
Local time
Today, 01:08
Desperate for help! Days 'n days searching forums - still no clue!

- I store folder names in a txtbox against the client e.g. c:\Client Files\Client123
- Having Mail Merged to Word/pdf or Excel I need to save that document to a hyperlink or txtbox so I can 'shell' to the specified Document later.

Part 2: How to save the full location of a pdf? (Word/Excel OK)

Please can anyone direct me to any useful sites? Thanks.

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Okay, how about taking one step back and calmly explaining what is that you want to achieve in simple English, without any technical jargon?

Roscoe24

User for 10 years
Local time
Hi Paul,
On a local drive I have a suite of diverse documents which are "master documents". This folder contains some 150 different "letters", which are contained in the one top level folder but may be in one of several sub-folders.
Each standard "letter" contains mail merge fields. At the press of a button, in an MSAccess database, a temporary table is loaded with details of the pertinent client in focus. The user is also directed to the right folder/subfolder of documents. They select a "letter"; it opens; they press mail merge within the document; and the pertinent data for that Client is transferred to the letter.
This mail merged letter then needs saving in a different folder on the drive. It is usually saved as .pdf or Excel spreadsheet. I name the new Folder from a text box, against that Client, in the MSAccess database.
With MSWord & MSExcel I have introduced, through their settings, the Full Address to the task bar, which includes the name of the document (Word) they are in. The user is therefore able to copy/paste this full address into a hyperlink item against the Client contact record and just add a specific name to the letter. E.g. 2014 where another would 2015. So the full address is c:\Documents\Holidays\Letter confirming details 2014. However this full address facility, as far as I can find, is not an option with a document saved as a pdf.
I hope this sets out the case more clearly and eagerly look forward to any help you can offer.

mh123

Registered User.
Local time
Hi sorry I am not understanding this as well as maybe I should, what address facility are you using to store PDFs? You could always just store the location in a field and then program a button to open the link in that field?
Or do you mean you want to be able to give the user the dir of the path and the filename that they can change to 'save as'?

Roscoe24

User for 10 years
Local time
Hi,
The user has opened a Word document in c:\Documents\Folder\Name of Document. He will then use Save As to name it and add an addendum to the default "Name of Document" so it is called "Name of Document 2015". The format he selects is pdf.
How do I pick up this so it populates a field (hyperlink) with c:\Documents\Folder\Name of Document 2015???
Cheers

Roscoe24

User for 10 years
Local time
I've found someone who knows how to do this thanks. PPH. People Per Hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom