Should I use exclusive mode? (1 Viewer)

Steve@trop

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:46
We have a split database with an Access 2010 (runtime) front end and an SQL back end. The front end is accessed locally on several Windows 7 tablets that are shared across three shifts of users. We occasionally have trouble with our update process which is a batch file that overwrites the local FE file because sometimes the file is in use by another local user that didn't log out before the current user logged in. We're also concerned that it could be affecting some other functionality of the program when there is more than one local user running the FE file on the computer.

Would it be a good idea to set the shortcut to the FE file on the tablets to open in "Exclusive Mode" or will that cause more problems? I know if we do this we'll have to train the users to restart the computer when they get the error mesage about the file being open by another user.

Thanks SteveB

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 01:46
Define "accessed locally"

Steve@trop

Registered User.
Local time
Accessed locally:

The FE file resides on the local computer. Specifically c:\Shared. This file is accessible to any user logged in to the computer and a shortcut to it is placed on the Public Desktop.

What I meant by Accessed locally is that they don't access the file through a network share. Each computer has a seperate copy of the FE.

Thanks,

SteveB

Steve@trop

Registered User.
Local time
I should probably elaborate a little on the situation:

A user starts the FE, enters data etc. then leaves for the day forgetting to close the program or log off their account. The computer automatically locks. A user on the next shift comes along and logs in by using "Switch user". This doesn't kick the previous user off and the previous user still has an instance of the access FE running on that computer. If we push out an update of the FE file, the user can't overwrite the file because the other user still has it open and the update fails on that computer. I suspect this also causes other problems with the program.

I'm thinking that if I set the FE to open in exclusive mode, it will prevent the situation above.

Thanks,

SteveB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom