Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 05:41
Right on, glad you found it useful!
Cheers,
Well almost...

Trying to adapt it to use with an INSERT statement:

Code:
strSQL = INSERT into tblCombinedStatus ([FolderNumber], [CombStatus]) VALUES ('" & strFolderNumber & "','" & strStatus & "')"
With CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("", SQL)
        .Parameters(0) = strFolderNumber
        .Parameters(1) = strStatus
        .Execute dbFailOnError
        .Close
    End With

But I get an "Item not found in this collection" error. I know it is because I didn't set the fields to anything but everything I have tried cant get past the compiler...

I originally just used the Replace() function to remove all the Chr(34) and Chr(39) characters and it runs until it hits some other BS character I didn't account for.

What really chaps my behind is that I found something a few years ago that handled this issue but cant find it now.

Any ideas?

Edit: The error I get is 3075 - Syntax error (missing operator) blah, blah, blah

Last edited:

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:41
Untested, but try:
Code:
strSQL = INSERT into tblCombinedStatus ([FolderNumber], [CombStatus]) VALUES (p1, p2)"
' ...

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well almost...

Trying to adapt it to use with an INSERT statement:

Code:
strSQL = INSERT into tblCombinedStatus ([FolderNumber], [CombStatus]) VALUES ('" & strFolderNumber & "','" & strStatus & "')"
With CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("", SQL)
        .Parameters(0) = strFolderNumber
        .Parameters(1) = strStatus
        .Execute dbFailOnError
        .Close
    End With

But I get an "Item not found in this collection" error. I know it is because I didn't set the fields to anything but everything I have tried cant get past the compiler...

I originally just used the Replace() function to remove all the Chr(34) and Chr(39) characters and it runs until it hits some other BS character I didn't account for.

What really chaps my behind is that I found something a few years ago that handled this issue but cant find it now.

Any ideas?

Edit: The error I get is 3075 - Syntax error (missing operator) blah, blah, blah
I thought the idea was you used P0, P1 etc instead of the actual variables in the string.
You appear to be combining both?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Untested, but try:
Code:
strSQL = INSERT into tblCombinedStatus ([FolderNumber], [CombStatus]) VALUES (p1, p2)"
' ...
Thanks CB, that gets me RT Error 3271 - Invalid property value

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I thought the idea was you used P0, P1 etc instead of the actual variables in the string.
You appear to be combining both?
I think that is what CB was telling me but his "air code" didn't do the trick either. I KNOW it is something obvious but I am missing it.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well your string does not even start with a " ?

Fom Markk's post that was
Code:
"UPDATE Leave As t SET t.Comments = p0 " & _
        "WHERE t.[Start Date] = p1 AND t.[End Date] = p2"

try
Code:
" INSERT into tblCombinedStatus ([FolderNumber], [CombStatus]) VALUES (p0, p1)"

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
In a nutshell, I looped through a table that had a ShortText field and combined them all into a string that I want to insert into a LongText field. Works for some but not all. I knew apostrophes and double quotes were going to be an issue and I accounted for them but now there is something else gumming up the works.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Well your string does not even start with a " ?

Fom Markk's post that was
Code:
"UPDATE Leave As t SET t.Comments = p0 " & _
        "WHERE t.[Start Date] = p1 AND t.[End Date] = p2"

try
Code:
" INSERT into tblCombinedStatus ([FolderNumber], [CombStatus]) VALUES (p0, p1)"
Bad transposing on my part. My syntax is good, I just need a way to wrap the string so that it inserts no matter what is inside it.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
In a nutshell, I looped through a table that had a ShortText field and combined them all into a string that I want to insert into a LongText field. Works for some but not all. I knew apostrophes and double quotes were going to be an issue and I accounted for them but now there is something else gumming up the works.
Try my last post.
Else I would change the single quote ' to double double quotes "" ? , then you can debug.print the string

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Try my last post.
Else I would change the single quote ' to double double quotes "" ? , then you can debug.print the string
I did, same issue as with CB's suggestion.

I removed all single and double quotes from the string. There is something else in there that Access does not like. I have debug.printed the culprit and even if I could narrow it down, there HAS to be a way to "wrap" the string so that Access doesn't choke on it.

I found something The DB Guy wrote on another forum a few years ago that fixed this but I cant find it now. Really pissing me off....

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 02:41
What going wrong here? I don't understand the problem.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Rather than continue on this thread, let me start a new one. It is an age-old problem that I have gotten around before but for the life of me, cannot remember how I did it and I cannot find the solution I found about 3 years ago,

CarlettoFed

Local time
Today, 11:41
Maybe if you attach a sample file it would be easier to understand and help you.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
John,
I have only just noticed that you use strSQL to create the statement, yet use sql for the CreateDef ? :(

When I copied your post, my system complained I had not defined sql. That is how I eventually spotted it. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom