Simple summed values for item type (1 Viewer)

ARC20

Local time
Today, 07:59
I'm thinking this should be simple, but I am very much a novice and could use some guidance.

I have data that is coming in the form of something like this which I have entered as a table:
DateTypeQuantity
1/14/22A4
1/18/22B2
1/24/22A5
2/3/22C4
2/5/22B8

I am trying to create a query to have a row for each month that will sum the quantities for each type:
ABC
2022-01920
2022-02084
2022-03

I've been able to group the dates by formatting the date as yyyy-mm and sum the values for one of the Types, but can't figure out how to have separate columns for each Type with summed values. Any suggestions?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:59
Investigate using a crosstab query

Row heading - you year month calc
Column heading - type
Value - sum quantity

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Actually, I would call the skills needed for this advanced. Here's the steps and some links:

1. Create an aggregate query

2. In that query create a calculated field that converts your date values to the date of the first day of the month they occur.

3. In that query you will also need the Type and Quantity fields. See the first link on what aggregate designations you need to assign each.

4. Once the above query generates the correct data you save it. It won't have each Type as a field, but you should be able to verify the data is correct.

5. You build another query using the first query you made and PIVOT it so that each Type becomes a field in the query.

ARC20

Local time
Thank you, I got it working using the crosstab query CJ suggested.

To Plog: what is the advantage of converting the dates to the first day of the month over just changing the format.
I just used an expression Format([Pickup Date],"yyyy-mm") and it appears to group okay on the surface.

As a follow up question, I also want to create a report with a bar chart for quantities in each month over the last twelve months. Do I need to filter the data in a query to limit the range to twelve months first or can I have a chart filter to the last twelve months on its own without the need for an additional query?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
With an actual date (e.g. first date of the month) you can do date related things--you can sort by Date, you can filter by date, you can use built -n Date functions of Access. When you convert it to your format its a string (e.g. '2022-01') you can't do those things as easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom