Single or multiple fields on a form - depending on the record needs. (1 Viewer)

J

JenW73

I don't know how to get around this without creating unnecessary fields on a form! I need to give the user the opportunity to enter information into multiple fields depending on the record. For example, a particular record might require 5 dates (date1, date2, date3, date4, date5) and the form will need to allow him/her to enter these on the form. In other cases, the record might only require one date (date1) and the other four would be superfluous. I work in TV (to give some contex) and some programs will have one air date while others will have more than one. Each field will essentially perform the same function. How do I create a form that caters itself to each individual record? I hope this makes sense. What I don't want to do is take up unnecessary room on the form with 5+ date spaces when there won't always be need for one. GOD! It's even hard to explain in writing. Please help! Feel free to send an email, too, and I'll try to be clearer.

Neal

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:38
I had a similar problem with ads that can appear in a newspaper on any number of dates, including every day. Obviously, I didn't want a form with 365 fields for dates. So, I have two tables: one with information about the ads, and one for information about each time it runs (i.e. date, what section it is in, etc.)
Infomation is input via a form (with the ad information) and a continuous subform (with the insertion information). That means there is only one field for dates, but you enter as many as you need to. The two tables are linked by a one to many relationship. (I.E. One ad, may dates)
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom