SMJ - Save My Job (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 14:54
I recently joined an institution. They have an intranet (just only internet is being shared currently). I am the only software Developer across the entire institute (But many Hardware Engineers are present). I know only to program within a single PC by programming VBA or through any other software tools. Here the requirements are very less and much simpler when comes to a single pc. But my Bosses (Not a single Boss) want me to make an LMS (Leave Management System) available though out the institute. This requirement is also very very simple. The problem is, I never got exposure to a network of PCs so far. Never have touched a server tool like SharePoint server or Microsoft Exchange Server or any other utilities like these.

The requirement is simple:
Employees have to open a webpage (intranet or cloud may be) in a "Browser". It has to show a number (number of available leaves left for them to avail. Nothing else). I know we just need Label control (caption) and change it dynamically after assessing who is operating the PC wherever the browser is being operated.

Please advise...

With Hope,
Prabhakaran

Edgar_

Local time
Today, 04:24
1. User visits your leave management system located somewhere
2. First thing that loads is an authentication screen, a login/signin form
3. If authentication fails, notify user he only has X number of tries left within a specific time period
4. If authentication is successful, show your user a welcome view with:
4.1 his personal data associated to this operation
4.2 history of leaves in a table or calendar, previous leaves must allow your user to view the proof that it was taken
4.3 leaves left
5. If user has no leaves left, show only the history
6. If user has leaves available, show a calendar/form or both to let the user pick up a new date of leave
7. Validate this operation from the client and from the server
8. Show your user a proof of successful submission

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 14:54
That 7th point is the one I don't know about. Some Guidance is appreciated.

GaP42

Local time
Today, 19:24
Re point 7 - expect you would want to validate:
- the leave applied for is a future date - can't alter past leave
- the leave applied for does not overwrite existing planned (and approved) leave - unless warned / reset this planned leave to not yet approved?

Can planned leave be removed by the user?

Do you expect a step involving approval of planned leave? - the status of leave needs to be checked.
Will you allow selection of a period of leave - ie consecutive dates: how will you, or do you, need to deal with non-work days? How will the application know what are workdays vs say public holidays? (does everyone have the same normal workdays) - another validation step?

And the leave applied for cannot exceed the leave balance. (where do you get this or how is calculated - leave entitlements are accumulated on an annual basis or some running formula - eg 2 days/month).

Last edited:

Edgar_

Local time
Today, 04:24
That 7th point is the one I don't know about. Some Guidance is appreciated.
That is not clear. If you got to step 7, that would mean you already figured it all out and it's only a matter of adapting one of many approaches for that step, which is validation (see GaP42's post for more insights). For example, you'd need to have a url pointing to a server to solve step 1. You'd need to have chosen a way to generate a frontend to solve step 2. For step 3, you'd need to have chosen what technology to use for the server that processes your form inputs and communicates with your employee database to know how many leaves are left. So on and so forth.

What are you stuck with and what technologies are you using?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom