Sorting by rows - How can I speed up the process? (1 Viewer)

Data Cruncher

Local time
Today, 14:56
Hello,

I have a large series of individual numbers in 5 columns, running down to 574 rows, including the headers.

The data, which comprises numbers from 1 to 45 inclusive in each row, has been entered without being put into numerical order (aaaarrrgh!!!!), so filtering for specific combinations of numbers is impossible.

A small sample:-

,Col1,Col2,Col3,Col4,Col5
Row1,29,16,5,14,20
Row2,11,30,32,22,19
Row3,7,35,26,18,22

I have worked my way through to row 166 so far, selecting the data in each of the 5 columns, 1 row at a time, and using the Data>Sort>Continue with the current selection>Sort by Row # [Ascending]>Options>Sort left to right settings.

This works perfectly, but it only works on 1 row at a time, and I need to be able to do this quickly. If I try to sort by 3 consecutive rows at a time, it sorts row 1 correctly, but the following 2 are sorted depending on the values in row 1, so that is of no use.

I have two spreadsheets to fix this way, the other has 1426 rows with 6 columns then another 2 separate columns, so the job is horrendous. :eek:

Is there any way I can set the data up, or use a Macro, to sort each row independently of each other? Or simply ask it to sort by multiple rows?

I will be most appreciative of any help anyone can offer me.

Many thanks,

Data Cruncher :)
Victoria, Australia

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:56
G'day DataCruncher,

I have had a 20 minute play with this and can see that it gets horrible when I try to sort the rows by repetetive Min and Max functions and ifs. Way too complicated.

Without dedicating any more time to thinking about this, I think that you should be able import the spreadsheet into new database and do the manipulation there by way of a report as you should be able to treat every record individually.

Someone with far more smarts than I have could probably develop a macro to repetitavly apply your sorting criteria in the spread sheet as it stands but I wouldn't know where to start.

Sorry I'm not able top post a solution for you. :)

Data Cruncher

Local time
Thanks for trying Keith. Fingers crossed, someone can dream up a Macro for me or tell me how to lay the data out to make it easier.

Data Cruncher.

Data Cruncher

Local time
Many, many thanks. This works perfectly. It's just what I needed. You're a champ.

Data Cruncher

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom