Split Database Back End on FTP or Web Server (1 Viewer)

fenhow

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:04
Hi, I am not sure where to put this thread hopefully someone here can help me.

I have spent a good deal of time developing a very effective access database for a client. It is split into a front end and back end and connected using the Linked Table Manager when necessary.

The front end is quite loaded with queries, reports, forms, macros etc and the back end simply has the tables.

The front end is about 15 mb and the back about 8 mb.

Current set up is a small workgroup network with about 4 -5 consecutive users at any one given time.

I am looking for some advice on how to set up or facilitate getting the backend on the internet so anyone with a front end can access it outside of the LAN.

Today I set up an account with WebDrive which can connect to and assign a drive letter on your pc to any FTP, HTTP site.

I made the connection with WebDrive and using the linked table manager successfully linked the tables on my local machine to the back end on the FTP server - and actually ran the database at a pretty good rate.

I noticed however that it was downloading the backend to my local pc and once I closed the (a) form it was uploading the data back to the server? Very slow and often threw errors.

This of course is not what I wanted. Has anyone heard of doing this? Any work arounds or setting params would be greatly appreciated.

I have been told to create the DB in ASP but I do not have any idea on how to do that whatsoever...

Any advice or insight would be awesome!

Thanks!

Fen How

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom