'Splitting' a cell (1 Viewer)

B

brian5

I have a database in which I keep track of donations that people give to a charity organization. I log the check number, date, and amount.
I now want to add a section for category. Some people give money and want it directed to a certain category. The problem is sometimes they will write 1 check and direct it to 5 categories, (different amounts for each category).
I thought about just entering 5 different entries, but this will look funny at the end of the year when I print them a receipt. I want to just print them a receipt with the check number and amount, and ignore the categories.

It would sort of work like quicken when you 'split' the categories for a check.

Any suggestions would help

Fornatian

Dim Person
Local time
Today, 22:01
Brian,

Seems to me you need a two related table where you can break down the donation to 1 or Many Charities.

Consider it like a customer placing an order - although one order can be for a total of 5 groats, the items on the order can be for 1 or Many consituent parts.

So instead of the fields you already have? you would have a setup like this:

Table1:MasterTable

IDField:autonumber(unique reference field)
CheckNumber
DonationDate

Note: change field name from Date to DonationDate, Date is a reserved word in access which means you'll confuse it.

Table2: DonationsRecord

MasterTableRef(ForeignKey)
DonationID
CharityName(LookupField to CharityName in Table3)
Amount

Table3: DonatableCharity
CharityName

____

Notice I have removed the amount field from the MasterTable as it is a function of the total donations.

To obtain a simple receipt use a Sum query to obtain the total of all donations - doing it this way will also be self regulating because errors will be trapped straight of so no need to make sure entries are in agreement with the total added.

Does that make sense to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom