Splitting attachment field from table (2 Viewers)

DBrodin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:37
I have a database composed of personal statistics. (name, age, height, wt, etc). I have two attachment fields. Photos and Videos. Each of these fields can contain more that one file. The size of the video attachments is starting to get me up close to the 2 GB database limit. If each attachment field contained only one file, I would convert the fields over to a path link. I'm stumped on how to move the files out of the main database to control the size, but maintain the multi-file link to my forms.

Any suggestions on how to restructure this?

Thanks, Dale

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 11:37
Structurally, the attachment field corresponds to a table holding the attachments, related M:1 to the table holding the records. So you could have a subform for showing, adding, deleting attachments belonging to a given record. Or a listbox.

DBrodin

Registered User.
Local time
Structurally, the attachment field corresponds to a table holding the attachments, related M:1 to the table holding the records. So you could have a subform for showing, adding, deleting attachments belonging to a given record. Or a listbox.

I think I half follow that. I do Access seldom enough that I have to teach myself over again each time. I'll refresh myself on M:1 table links, then get back to you if things don't click in my mind.

Dale:)

DBrodin

Registered User.
Local time
After doing some experimenting, I decided the easiest way to deal with this was to put each records videos in a separate folder, then link to the folder. (I had mentally been stuck on links going single files, and missing that it would work for folders too). It took a long day to move things around, but the total of the field records was too big to do a cut and paste into a different table/database. This way seemed easier than trying to rebuild that field in a different table/database, then link it back by hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom