SQL noob needs help: Finding # of days with data on a date field that includes times (1 Viewer)

Swoop

Local time
Today, 22:55
I have an Access Db that lots of automated reports write an error report to with a date/time stamp in the format 'dd-mmm-yyyy hh:mm:ss'. I'm currently pulling stats from this table using the statement

Code:
"SELECT COUNT(ErrorCode) FROM ErrorsTbl WHERE ErrorReport='" & ReportName & "' AND ErrorDate>#" & Now - 28 & "#;"

(issued in VBA from Excel)

However, if a report tries to save outputs to 5 different locations while the drive is disconnected, for example, then it'll write 5 different errors to the Db. Therefore, I need to pull the number of days a report has logged an error in the last 28 rather than a count of errors logged.

If my date and time fields were split I think I could figure it out, but since they're merged into one.....and it's a major code rewrite of 200 ish reports to split them.....can someone please help me with the SQL to pull this?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
You can use the Format(ErrorDate,"Short Date") to return just the date value. Then group on that.

Swoop

Local time
Thats a great suggestion, thanks. How do I do that?

(SQL noob - only familiar with really basic stuff)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
The simple way is to create a query that brings in the data you need for your stats report, but instead of the ErrorDate put in a calculated field in. So in the query designer put the following;

Code:
ErrDateOnly: Format(ErrorDate,"Short Date")

This will give you a starting point, but still with repeating numbers of the same report. Now click on the totals symbol in the query designer ( Sigma symbol)
This will group your results.
Now run the query again - you will need to make sure there aren't any other fields that are unique per record.

If you get stuck post up a picture of the query in the designer.

Swoop

Local time
Ah. I see what you're saying. Minor issue though: No access to Access.

Seriously. The organisation I'm contracting for has an IT dept that has a policy that MS-Access is not included in any desktop rollout. I'm working for the finance dept who have a legacy Access Db that is accessed directly with SQL from Excel.

The short version of that story is: I can't use the query designer, I'm limited to writing SQL from scratch with VBA from Excel.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
In that case you'll probably be better with a sub query(Depending on your data), but without knowing all your field names you need that will be a slight struggle.

See if you can get some where with this http://allenbrowne.com/subquery-01.html if not post up a spreadsheet of your table with some sanitised data in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom