Solved Stuck with creating name for communications (1 Viewer)

silentwolf

Local time
Today, 02:53
Hi,

maybe a silly question but can't think of a good name for grouping "Email, Phonenumbers"

The reason is that I like to split all Phonenumbers and email accounts of a contact in a seperate table well in a n:m table structure to be exact.

So I am thinking of something like "Divices" but not sure there would be a better name for it. I tried with google but no luck of finding what I am looking for.

Has someone got a good name for this table?

Thanks for input.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:53
Email_Phone

Correct spelling: Devices

silentwolf

Local time
Hi,
thanks for correcting the spelling.. )

Cheers so you would just name the table Email_Phone?

Guess that would be good enough ) and is clear enough )

silentwolf

Local time
Yes :)

I did not have the linked Table Contact_Devices and a table Devices and of couse Contacts ..)

Looking pretty good ..)

Chees!

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:53
I use contactMethods or just Methods

methods include:
business landline
home landline
fax
mobile/cell
whatsApp
email
website
etc

in the case of a company with contacts - some will appear against company, some against contact. Ones like 'business landline' might be replaced with several for 'sales', 'accounts', 'servicing' etc

I also include some rules around contacting such as 'preferred', 'do not use', 'business hours only', 'can SMS' if these have been expressed by the contact

So my table will look something like

contactFK
MethodFK
Rules
MethodValue

silentwolf

Local time
Thanks to your reply CJ

So you call it methods,

And the "phoneNumber" Or "Email" gets stored in the MethodValue then right?

And what do you mean by Rules what kind of information are you storing there? Like don't call after 5 pm or something like that?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And the "phoneNumber" Or "Email" gets stored in the MethodValue then right?
correct
And what do you mean by Rules what kind of information are you storing there? Like don't call after 5 pm or something like that?
yes as I suggested in my post.

I've written a number of contact management systems over the years (each one different) and I use 'do not use' so that a record is kept. If it is say a mobile number and the contact does not want to be contacted this way then if you delete it because you shouldn't use it, there is nothing to stop it being reinstated at a later date by accident and thereby infringing the contacts wishes.

other 'rules' that come up are 'disconnected', 'frequency - x period','every x periods' among others. i.e. first one speaks for itself, in the second case contact does not want to be contacted more than once a month or 3 months, whatever, or in the latter case, requires contacting every x periods. I don't know what your real world requirement is so may not be relevant, but you can use this information (combined with other data) to manage workload.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:53
I know that I wish some telemarketers had time-zone-sensitive rules. We have gotten robo-calls from people at 11 PM and as late as 2 AM local time. So a "call before" or "call between" rule would be welcome. But "telemarketer" and "sensitive" in the same sentence just doesn't work.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
But "telemarketer" and "sensitive" in the same sentence just doesn't work.
:):):)

so rules are more complex, depends on the requirements. So may require a time field or two. Or only certain types of communication such as 'new offers','invoices','statements'

I forgot to mention some rules against the address field - again may have some contact methods - phone/fax for example but a 'do not use' rule against the address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom