Sub-queries with textbox-based parameter failing with Error 3061 (AC2007) (1 Viewer)

AOB

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:14
Hi guys,

I'm trying to perform a DELETE query at run-time. The criteria for deleting records is somewhat complex due to various one-to-many dependancies between the tables, overlapping of date fields etc., so in order to restrict the DELETE to only those records which qualify, I've set up a load of smaller queries to produce the list of eligible records.

There is only one parameter required - a 'CutOff' date which is arbitrarily chosen by the user and is available in a textbox control on an open form when the code is triggered.

Here is the main DELETE query :

Code:
DELETE DISTINCTROW [tblComments].* 
FROM [tblComments]
INNER JOIN [qryCommentsToPurge] 
  ON [tblComments].[CommentID] = [qryCommentsToPurge].[CommentID] 
WHERE [tblComments].[CommentID] = [qryCommentsToPurge].[CommentID]

I've put qryCommentsToPurge and all the cascading sub-queries below - have highlighted in red where the parameter value is required (it is used in the queries to identify the records which must be retained, i.e. not deleted)

Probably information-overload, so apologies for that, but just wanted to give the full picture...

Each of the individual sub-queries works fine and correctly (they return the correct population of records that they were designed to)

If I run the sub-queries manually, I am prompted to provide the CutOff date, as you would expect - and the recordset returned in each case is correct for that date.

If, however, I run the DELETE at run-time (with the form containing that textbox open and containing a valid date value) I get a 3061 error :

Too few parameters. Expected 1.

Suggesting that the queries can't pull the parameter value from the textbox on the form. But I've stuck a watch in the debugger on [Forms]![frmArchive]![txtCutOffDate] and I'm getting the correct date value? The form is open and available at the time.

So why can't the query see it? I use these kinds of control references elsewhere in other queries and they work fine. I don't understand why it's a problem here?

qryCommentsToPurge :

Code:
SELECT [tblComments].*
FROM [tblComments] 
INNER JOIN [qryIssuesToPurge] 
  ON [tblComments].[IssueID] = [qryIssuesToPurge].[IssueID]
ORDER BY [tblComments].[CommentID];

qryIssuesToPurge :

Code:
SELECT [tblIssues].*
FROM ([tblIssues] 
LEFT JOIN [qryIssuesAndAssociatedBalancesToRetain] 
  ON [tblIssues].[IssueID] = [qryIssuesAndAssociatedBalancesToRetain].[IssueID]) 
LEFT JOIN [qryBalancesAndAssociatedIssuesToRetain] 
  ON [tblIssues].[IssueID] = [qryBalancesAndAssociatedIssuesToRetain].[IssueID]
WHERE [qryIssuesAndAssociatedBalancesToRetain].[IssueID] Is Null 
  AND [qryBalancesAndAssociatedIssuesToRetain].[IssueID] Is Null
ORDER BY tblIssues.IssueID;

qryIssuesAndAssociatedBalancesToRetain :

Code:
SELECT [tblIssues].[IssueID], [tblIssues].[ValueDate], [tblIssues].[IssueResolveDate], [qryAssociatedBalancesPerIssue].[BalanceID], [qryAssociatedBalancesPerIssue].[BalanceDate]
FROM [tblIssues] 
LEFT JOIN [qryAssociatedBalancesPerIssue] 
  ON [tblIssues].[IssueID] = [qryAssociatedBalancesPerIssue].[IssueID]
WHERE [tblIssues].[IssueResolveDate] > [COLOR=red][Forms]![frmArchive]![txtCutOffDate][/COLOR] 
  OR [tblIssues].[IssueResolved] = False 
  OR ([tblIssues].[FollowUp] = True 
    AND [tblIssues].[FollowUpResolved] = False)
ORDER BY [tblIssues].[IssueID], [qryAssociatedBalancesPerIssue].[BalanceID];

qryBalancesAndAssociatedIssuesToRetain :

Code:
SELECT [tblBalances].[BalanceID], [tblBalances].[BalanceDate], [tblBalances].[Flag], [tblBalances].[BalanceResolved], [qryAssociatedIssuesPerBalance].[IssueID], [qryAssociatedIssuesPerBalance].[ValueDate], [qryAssociatedIssuesPerBalance].[IssueResolveDate]
FROM [tblBalances] 
LEFT JOIN [qryAssociatedIssuesPerBalance] 
  ON [tblBalances].[BalanceID] = [qryAssociatedIssuesPerBalance].[BalanceID]
WHERE [tblBalances].[BalanceDate] > [COLOR=red][Forms]![frmArchive]![txtCutOffDate][/COLOR] 
  OR ([tblBalances].[Flag] = True 
    AND [tblBalances].[BalanceResolved] = False)
ORDER BY [tblBalances].[BalanceID], [qryAssociatedIssuesPerBalance].[IssueID];

qryAssociatedBalancesPerIssue :

Code:
SELECT [tblIssues].[IssueID], [tblBalances].[BalanceID], [tblBalances].[BalanceDate]
FROM [tblIssues] 
INNER JOIN [tblBalances] 
  ON [tblIssues].[AccountID] = [tblBalances].[AccountID]
WHERE [tblBalances].[BalanceDate] >= [tblIssues].[ValueDate] 
  AND (([tblBalances].[BalanceDate] < [tblIssues].[IssueResolveDate]) 
    OR [tblIssues].[IssueResolved] = False)
ORDER BY [tblIssues].[IssueID], [tblBalances].[BalanceID];

qryAssociatedIssuesPerBalance :

Code:
SELECT [tblBalances].[BalanceID], [tblBalances].[BalanceDate], [tblIssues].[IssueID], [tblIssues].[ValueDate], [tblIssues].[IssueResolveDate]
FROM [tblBalances] 
INNER JOIN [tblIssues] 
  ON [tblBalances].[AccountID] = [tblIssues].[AccountID]
WHERE [tblIssues].[ValueDate] <= [tblBalances].[BalanceDate] 
  AND (([tblIssues].[IssueResolveDate] > [tblBalances].[BalanceDate]) 
    OR [tblIssues].[IssueResolved] = False)
ORDER BY [tblBalances].[BalanceID], [tblIssues].[IssueID];

AOB

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:14
Problem solved / workaround reached...

It seems the textbox on the form is out of scope for the sub-query. In order to get around the problem, I set up a temporary local table (one field, one record) via VBA at runtime (because the textbox, and its value, is available to the code)

Code:
Dim dbs As Database
Dim tdf As TableDef
Dim strSQL As String

Set dbs = CurrentDb

With dbs

For Each tdf In .TableDefs
    If tdf.Name Like "tblTempCutOffDate" Then
      .TableDefs.Delete tdf.Name
      Exit For
    End If
  Next tdf

strSQL = "SELECT #" & Format([Forms]![frmArchive]![txtCutOffDate], "mm/dd/yyyy") & "# AS CutOffDate " & _
           "INTO [tblTempCutOffDate]"

.Execute strSQL

End With

Then modified my sub-queries to reference the temp table instead of the form control :

Code:
SELECT [tblIssues].[IssueID], [tblIssues].[ValueDate], [tblIssues].[IssueResolveDate], [qryAssociatedBalancesPerIssue].[BalanceID], [qryAssociatedBalancesPerIssue].[BalanceDate]
FROM tblIssues 
LEFT JOIN qryAssociatedBalancesPerIssue ON [tblIssues].[IssueID] = [qryAssociatedBalancesPerIssue].[IssueID]
WHERE [tblIssues].[IssueResolveDate] >= 
  [COLOR=red](SELECT Max([tblTempCutOffDate].[CutOffDate]) [/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]   FROM [tblTempCutOffDate])[/COLOR] 
OR [tblIssues].[IssueResolved] = False 
OR ([tblIssues].[FollowUp] = True 
  AND [tblIssues].[FollowUpResolved] = False)
ORDER BY [tblIssues].[IssueID], [qryAssociatedBalancesPerIssue].[BalanceID];

Then just drop the temp table when done

Means the queries can only work when the process is done via the VBA (but that's not necessarily a bad thing for me!)

Anyway, just thought I'd post this for anyone hitting the same problem...

Have a good weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom